Saints bandwagon disappointed by loss

The Super Bowl champs of 2010 have experienced an extreme boom in their fanbase. After the Saints’ Cinderella story season last year, a new sense of life filled the city of New Orleans and gave the people a reason to celebrate.
The unlikely victors touched most of the nation, and many jumped on the bandwagon and cheered them all the way to the Bowl. What was ignored was the pure magic that was behind the incredible season. Due to this ignorance, many of these new “fans” were left just a bit more than disappointed in this season.
With a final record last year of 13-3, the team entered the Super Bowl as the underdog. Taking the win in Florida against the Indianapolis Colts, the Saints became the new hope of Louisiana and New Orleans in particular.
As fantastic and thrilling as this victory was, all good things must come to an end, and with that, the season came to a close.
With an unbelievable season behind them the Saints entered the 2010-2011 NFL football year with a huge weight on their shoulders.
The expectation that the Saints would have the same success as they had last year was now bearing down on them. Not only was the need for another amazing season their curse, but millions of people across the country were now on the “Saints bandwagon.”
Saints fans were coming out of nowhere by the dozens. After the season, everyone claimed to love the football team while every woman longed to marry Drew Brees. Where did they all come from? Where were all of these fans when the Saints were losing games? These are examples of the questions that plague most of the original life-long fans, still.
I have heard it said many times by those who grew up in Louisiana, rejoicing and mourning with the Saints, that you can tell who the true fans are by their reactions. 
A true Saints fan would never expect unbelievable success from his or her team, or scorn them for a loss that was more or less predicted.
A true fanbase throws a parade in the quarter if the Saints even get close to a bowl game, much less win one.
It’s the fakers that are causing negativity around this team. It seems that Saints fans are similar to us Bulldogs. We love our team and are proud at any win they receive.
However, we know our limits and while Dan Mullen and the rest of the players are doing an excellent job in building a new foundation for an exceptional football program, we don’t expect a national championship anytime soon. To think that a rising team is going to shoot to the top immediately is unrealistic and no true fan would put that kind of pressure on their beloved obsession.
Part of me feels that the expectations put on the Saints was slightly unrealistic. Yes, they had an awesome season last year and pulled out an incredible win at the Super Bowl, but honestly, that was a one in a million shot.
Now all of these “fans” are now disappointed that “their” team is not performing like they once did. Where were these fans years ago, and why are they deciding to become so involved in the season all of a sudden? Where will they be in a year or two if the Saints don’t keep winning?
Unfortunately, that’s already started slipping this year. With a less than remarkable season for 2010-2011, people are wondering where the magic has gone. Every Cinderella story has an ending and the Saints may have reached theirs.
But to all the true Saints fans and the city of New Orleans, this team will always be a source of light in a place that has seen so much darkness in recent years.
So, to all of the real fans out there, way to be there for your team. If you aren’t a real fan, then stop pretending that you’ve got a clue.
Just leave it be.
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at
[email protected]