Meaningless fame frustrates viewers

I formed a list of questions in my mind the other day —   -  –How is fame attained? What is the price of fame? How famous is too famous?
These questions came to mind when I discovered Paris Hilton is starring in another one of her own television shows, titled “The World According to Paris.”
The show, to premiere on Oxygen in the spring, will apparently feature “the real Paris” that no one has seen before. Question — who is “the real Paris” exactly?
We all know very well Paris Hilton is the socialite great granddaughter of the Hilton Hotel’s founder. She has starred in numerous movies (including a starring role in “House of Wax”) and numerous television shows (including her own “The Simple Life”). She has even written two books, titled “Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose” and “Your Heiress Diary: Confess It All to Me.”
We all know that she was born into quite a large sum of money and was basically born into fame. She is a famous bad girl, especially after the release of her sex tape in 2003, and has a history of being rude to the press. If that is not the real Paris Hilton, I do not know what is.
Maybe I should watch the show and find out.
I was watching an episode of “Supernatural” in which Paris was portrayed as a rich, fame-obsessed bimbo. Is this the kind of image she wanted the world to see? Maybe that’s the reason for the show in the first place — to shatter the image of pretty-in-pink Paris Hilton from the past.
She is a billionaire by birth, plus she has earned millions in record sales (yes, she sings), jewelry sales, perfume sales, clothing sales — you name it. She even modeled naked for a “Rich Prosecco” Italian wine commercial.
The price of fame for Ms. Hilton is the sacrifice of a little bit of her time to do these advertisements and sales, to … well, make her more money.
Which brings me to my final question: how famous is too famous? If there is a limit to fame, Hilton hasn’t reached it yet. And I feel this new television show is just the beginning.
After this new show, how many other heiresses are going to demand a network deal? Sure, I might tune into Paris Hilton’s show once or twice, to see if she’s the cold-hearted girl I have always thought her to be. Perhaps she will surprise me and have at least one redeeming quality, especially since this new television opportunity gives a true account of her “crazy and fearless” lifestyle.
I cannot tell you what I would do or how I would live if I were a billionaire. Life would be different, sure. I would be a different person, maybe. Could I be as cold as Paris Hilton seems to be? Well, I sure hope not.
I would like to think that if I did have that much money I would do a multitude of charity work and support my family for life, assuming I was still my quirky self, that is.
So when and if I tune in to “The World According to Paris,” what do I hope to see? What will go on in those 60 minutes?
Drama, of course. But drama may be a bit of an understatement.
A young female celebrity, who in the past has gotten arrested for drunk driving, defied her probation and then was placed on house arrest, must bring something interesting to television.
There’s something about Paris Hilton — maybe the fact that she was voted the second “Worst Role Model of 2007” — that makes me want to see what stuff is about to go down.
“The World According to Paris” might not make me see things through her eyes, but at least it will be entertaining. But for now, I am living in a world according to Becca.
Becca Horton is a freshman majoring in communication. She can be contacted at
[email protected]