STARKVILLE’S RESIDENT ROCKERS: THE JARHEADS

The Jarheads are one of Starkville’s up and coming bands. This raw, energetic young trio has a sound that can best be described as thoughtful, progressive punk with just the right amount of pop. The band’s music is cohesive and mature, especially considering the band formed for their 8th grade talent show — a wee five years ago. The fact these college freshmen have produced an EP as well as a full album, Breathe In, which released last November, is quite impressive.
Adrian Lewis, Grant Beatty and Collin Whitten met while attending Starkville Middle School, and after that talent show, they set their sights on playing more live music. Inspired by bands such as Crass, Antiflag and Alkaline Trio, the guys dubbed themselves “The Jarheads” as an ironic play on the military nickname. While The Jarheads cultivated a following playing at house parties, the band worked to book shows at venues around town. It was a struggle, however, for the young group to find places that would feature the band’s not-so-acoustic sound and allow a high school-based following to attend.
“When we were in high school it was hard because no one gives a f— about a high school band except for high school students.” Beatty, vocalist and guitarist, said.
So the boys handcrafted “The Spot,” their cozy, punk, living room area that served as the hub where everyone could gather, hang out and listen. The practice space is a small building off bassist Lewis’ main house, that has been duct-taped, graffitied and tin-foiled to create the perfect music factory. Talking with the band it became obvious these guys are far beyond their years in wisdom, experience and talent.
The band is a tight-knit trio which agrees that their process is a group effort, Whitten and Lewis looking over and contributing to lyrics that Lewis writes. His lyrics are inspired by anything that evokes passion, be it love, anger, bliss or any other emotion that is worthy of raw power and energy. “Porch Song,” from the band’s new CD, was described as “a big ol’ metaphor;” an anti-romance that wasn’t named until it was time to type the tracklist for the CD.
As the band members got older, “The Spot” became more of a practice area while they went on to play at venues such as Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern, Strangebrew and the Princess Theater in Columbus. By the band members’ junior year in high school, The Jarheads had cut an EP. A couple years and a full-length CD later, the goal has been expanding and getting their name out there. Lewis, Whitten and Beatty agree that the task at hand is what the band considers the best aspect of music”giggin’.”
The band is hoping to tap into the growing local music scene, start appealing to the MSU crowd and play more gigs at places ready to have fun and bring energy.
Although the band is hoping to record another CD this summer and keep striving toward a tour one day, none of the members are daydreaming of fortune and stardom.
“Honestly, I’m happy to just break even,” Whitten, the band’s drummer, said.
The band members are ready to pursue their dreams while they have the chance and will balance school with a blossoming career as long as they can.
“It ultimately comes down to the show, it’s about playing” Beatty says. “Getting big is such a subjective term. I just, you know, want people to give a s—.”
Lewis said he is ready to follow one career. He also said he wants to encourage others to follow their passions as well. How long that will be, however, is up in the air. Even with the exposure of performing at the Cotton District Arts Festival, as well as shows in Jackson, Tuscaloosa and Louisiana, it’s hard to get the punk ball rolling in the South.
In this age of the lazy listener with a mainstream ear who would rather pirate music than go see a live (much less alternative) band, The Jarheads refuse to be discouraged. With help from other local bands like The Mooring Line gaining popularity for alternative jams, The Jarheads wants to turn the Starkville “scene” into a crusade for the revival of music. The band wants to enlist you in the effort for fun music that has its soul back, “kicking and screaming whether you like it or not,” jokes Beatty.
The Jarheads are familiar with the “anything that’s from Starkville has to suck, right?” outlook, Beatty said. The Jarheads are ready to turn the tables in ‘Vegas and bring music back from the soulless, impersonal and detached shambles it is in now. Listeners with an appreciative ear, keep an eye out for The Jarheads; these kids are going places.
The bands parting words? “Brace yo’self fool.”