Whims of teenagers do not remove Gator Bowl, Egg Bowl victories

%26%23160%3B

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. They also say journalists should avoid using such cliches.

However, given the current state of things within Mississippi State athletics, the picture here — the Gator Bowl picture, not my mugshot — says more than I could in limited space on a newspaper page, and well over 1,000 words.
You see, it appears that many of the Bulldog faithful have forgotten where their football program stands. One, two or maybe even three high schoolers decided recently where they want to go to college, and because they chose Ole Miss over MSU, the masses have fallen into hysteria.
The current recruiting class, even without C.J. Joh — er, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, is still relatively stellar and packed with impactful athletes. The whims of a few 18-year-olds seem to have caused some memory loss.
Here is my State of the Union address: Fear not, for the Dawgs still won the Gator Bowl, while the Bears hibernated at home during bowl season.
Despite the fears, Dan Mullen remains your head coach, with a new contract, to boot.
While some whisper, “That School Up North, you know the one, is beating us in recruiting,” I remind you who beat who on the actual field ever since Mullen took over.
As for the future, I assure you, the Bulldogs might as well be insured by Allstate; with Scott Stricklin as Athletic Director, you’re in good hands.
So sleep easy, friends. Relish this picture, then ask yourself who is really on the rise.