Oktibbeha County elections today

When the polls closed for the Aug. 2 Oktibbeha County primary elections, all republican candidates for the November general elections were decided.
For the democrats, however, the decision was not final. The democratic candidates for the offices of sheriff, tax assessor/collector, circuit clerk and supervisor district 5 have yet to be decided. The run off elections will be held today.
Current Oktibbeha County Circuit Clerk Angie McGinnis said only those who voted democrat in the primary elections will be able to vote today. Those who voted republican will not be able to vote.
In the race for sheriff, Dolph Bryan, who won the primary with 35 percent of the vote, will face Steve C. Gladney, who followed with 23.9 percent of the vote.
Bryan holds titles such as chairman of the board of directors of the Law Enforcement Coordination Committee for the Northern District of Mississippi and chairman of the board of directors for the Antiterrorist Task Force for the Northern District under the direction of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Bryan has been Sheriff of Oktibbeha County for 35 years and was first elected in 1976. He said he believes that this experience is what makes him the most qualified man for the job. Bryan said he has created a network of contacts in order to more effectively serve his community.
Bryan said he believes drugs are the center of most crimes committed in the county as well as the nation. He said he desires to continue to lead the fight against drug-related crimes in the county.
Bryan said his main goal will be to keep all citizens and their property as safe and secure as he possibly can by using the manpower and resources at his disposal.
“Voting is not only a privilege, but a responsibility,” Bryan said. “Regardless of who you vote for, I encourage everybody to go vote.”
Gladney has been a state trooper and has been employed by the Starkville Police Department, working the municipal court for the past year and a half.
Gladney said he believes the Sheriff of Oktibbeha County should be qualified, sincere and concerned. He said he believes he fits this criteria more than his competition. If elected, he said he will provide fair and effective law enforcement for all the citizens of Oktibbeha County.
Gladney said he encourages everyone registered to vote in Oktibbeha County to do so today.
“The vote Tuesday is going to be critical,” Gladney said.
In the race for tax assessor/collector, Deborah Carrithers, who won the primary with 43.3 percent of the votes, will face Velisa Wynn, who followed with 35.9 percent of the votes.
Carithers has been an employee of the tax office since 1996.
Carrithers said her experience and expertise gained by working in the tax office are what make her the best choice in the runoff election. She said she believes she is best suited to keep the tax office as up-to-date as possible in order to better serve customers.
Wynn is a literacy coach who has spent the past couple of years working to help first, second and third graders learn to read.
Wynn’s main goal if elected will be to make the tax office more accessible to customers. She said she has heard many citizens complaining about the length of the lines at the office, and she hopes to make changes to better the way people take care of their taxes. She said she even hopes to have the office open two Saturdays a month for citizens who cannot make it during the week.
In the race for Circuit Clerk, Teresa Davis-Roberson, who won the primary with 38.5 percent of the votes, will face Debra Prisock Wood, who followed with 23.7 percent of the votes.
Davis-Roberson is active in her church and community and is currently employed at Mississippi State University.
Davis-Roberson said she is driven by the definition of community and, if elected, pledges to continue partnerships to build successful communities. She has gained experience in customer service, office and asset management, data tracking and financial reconciliations in her career history.
Wood is a certified court clerk who has served as Starkville Municipal Court Clerk since 1991.
Wood believes her excess of 500 hours of training and her experience with keeping track of more than $1 million each year in municipal court fines and fees has prepared her to take over the job of Circuit Clerk.
In the race for Supervisor District 5, John L. Young, who won the primary with 34.5 percent of the votes, will face Joe L. Williams, who followed with 23.6 percent of the votes.
Young has worked for the city of Starkville since 1977. During this time, he has held jobs with the police department, worked as an assistant to the Chief Administrative Officer and has been involved with emergency medical services, tax assessment and juvenile justice programs.
Young is the current Supervisor for District 5 in Oktibbeha County and has been involved with a four-year road plan during his term. He hopes to be reelected so he can continue helping to move the plan further.
Williams is an educator who focuses his efforts around Mississippi State University. He said he believes without Mississippi State, there is no Starkville.
Williams has spent time working on a farm, in the army and working at Mississippi State. He said he believes all of this experience combined is what makes him best suited for the position of Supervisor District 5.
Polls are open today for the runoff elections. The winners of these runoffs will face their republican competitors on Nov. 8, 2011.