Guns on campus

A new state law that allows for certain civilians to carry concealed weapons does not carry over to the Mississippi State University campus.
House Bill 506, which was signed into law by Governor Haley Barbour, has been a major source of controversy.  The law went into effect on July 1.  It amends a 1972 conceal                     and carry law, and it has left some people wondering whether students would be able to carry pistols and revolvers on college campuses.  The law allows for any person who completes the appropriate training by a nationally recognized organization and obtains a permit to carry a licensed weapon. 
Samantha Stowell, a junior elementary education major, said it’s scary that any ordinary person could be carrying a gun.
“College is the time when everyone should feel free to express their opinions anywhere, and they shouldn’t have to be concerned about getting shot to do it,” she said.
The 1972 law was created to permit people who felt threatened in their line of work to carry a weapon. 
It originally listed several places where guns would not be permitted, such as churches, bars and schools.  According to Mississippi Representative Brandon Jones, of District 111 — Jackson, the author of this bill, the initial intent for the amended version was only to allow prosecutors to carry a weapon but was broadened to accommodate other citizens as well.
“They have from time to time been threatened, and based on the nature of the work, we felt like that was appropriate,” said Jones.  “As we got to studying, it made sense to those of us on the committee that if someone has submitted himself to training and proven a responsible gun owner, they should enjoy the same rights that are extended in other states.”
Many people have raised concern about the effect this law would have on college campuses.  The new law states anyone who undergoes the proper training and obtains a permit is able to carry a weapon.  This could potentially mean students could carry a concealed gun at any time on campus.
Timothy Smith of the Mississippi Department of Public Safety’s legal department, said he has already taken a call from someone at theUniversity of Mississippi who was worried about how this would affect their campus.
“It will be interesting to see how this plays out on college campuses and especially at sporting events,” he said.
Brandon Jones assured the policies of MSU would prevail over the law in order to keep students safe.
“Universities have their own regulations, and in light of what we’ve seen at Virginia Tech and other places, we have to be mindful of the university’s policies,” Jones said.
Dean of Students Thomas Bourgeois said this law will not be affecting MSU’s campus.
In his official response, Bourgeois said, “This new law will not change the current campus policy for students, which currently states that weapons possession by students on campus is prohibited.”
According to the MSU Policy and Procedure, the punishment for the possession of firearms is immediate suspension following a disciplinary hearing. 
It also states students who use firearms threateningly against others or discharge firearms on campus will be arrested and charged in the civil courts. They will also be suspended immediately from MSU pending a disciplinary hearing.
            This new bill conflicts with an old law–, Section 97-37-17 of Mississippi Code of 1972, which when annotated prohibits any person from carrying a firearm onto a university campus.
“We are, however, currently waiting on an opinion from the state attorney general’s office to give us more specific guidance on how the criminality of the law will be enforced,” Burgeois said.