Nude pictures send wrong message to fans, society

Haven’t we learned by now that nude-ish photos only lead to outrage? I guess not.
A woman has done it again, but this time it’s not a high school student or celebrity teen icon. Instead, lovable “Ghost” actress Demi Moore, 48, uploaded a picture to her Twitter account that has reporters buzzing. The picture featured Moore showing her topless back in a mirror, with a caption saying “Remember…you’ve got your own back.”
I am not quite sure what the actress is trying to say, but does the nude photo make the message any clearer? No. No, it definitely does not.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time Demi Moore has shown some skin publicly. She frequently tweets pictures of herself in a thin bikini, as well as pictures of herself lying in bed.
“Moore is no stranger to tweeting some pretty provocative self-portraits,” Huffington Post said.
Not only does she send interestingly inappropriate photos, but she also sends very public, provocative messages to husband Ashton Kutcher. One in particular is of her smiling with a note written on her hand that said, “Race you to the bedroom.” Ew?
Demi Moore and actor-husband Ashton Kutcher have faced a lot of criticism for their 16-year age difference, ever since they got married in 2005. Kutcher’s career has been very successful, with him recently landing a main part on “Two and a Half Men” (replacing Charlie Sheen). Perhaps this is Moore’s way of getting back into the spotlight herself. Although Moore’s (pushing 50) body is nothing to be ashamed of, the actress does not need to make all of the Twitter community aware. It appears she needs to prove to herself that although she is approaching the age of 50, she is still a beautiful woman. This is true, but the photos seem to be a very unnecessary cry for attention.
Twitter gives all of its members the ability to post photos. Demi Moore is definitely not the first person to post something unsuitable on the social networking site, but perhaps just one of the few that have actually been called out for it. Although Twitter allows for the posting of photos, it seems pointless for an older woman (or any woman for that matter) to publicly broadcast her appearance in that forum.
Out of the many important things in life, confidence is up there. I cannot tell if the posting of these pictures is her confidence shining through, or if she genuinely needs feedback to grow some. All I know is these pictures can be offensive and celebrities need to be careful. Every picture can be saved, sent and resaved. Social networking sites feed off of this.
Demi Moore is a beautiful woman. There is no need for her to try and demonstrate that to people. She is also a talented actress, wife and mother. She needs to be all of those things above anything else.
She does not need to prove to anyone that she can be attractive; she needs only to prove it to herself.
Becca Horton is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected]