Upcoming stretch huge for Bulldogs

Lost amidst all of the talk about Auburn’s come-from-behind victory over Utah State and Mississippi State’s record-setting performance against Memphis are two very interesting side stories: Will MSU head coach Dan Mullen finally lead his Bulldogs to a victory over a SEC West opponent that isn’t named Ole Miss? How will the Bulldogs cope with what is one of the toughest two-game stretches in college football this year?
Fans of rival schools have often been quick to point out that although the national media views State as an up-and-coming football program, the Bulldogs have yet to defeat anyone in the SEC West other than rival Ole Miss. They point to last year’s fifth place finish in a loaded SEC West as proof that State’s football program is not actually rising in the manner in which many pundits would have you believe. Mullen does not believe that the Bulldogs lack of victories against other SEC West schools provides an added incentive to beat Auburn.
“Our incentive is we have to win games to win the SEC West. We don’t worry about anything else,” Mullen said. “You can’t win the SEC championship without winning this game.”
With the Bulldogs in the midst of a brutal stretch that requires them to play Auburn and LSU within a span of five days, it is imperative that State win one of the two games. Considering a compelling case could be made for LSU as the number one team in the country, it is vital State do whatever is necessary to escape Auburn with a victory. A victory at Auburn could make the upcoming Thursday night game against LSU the biggest game State has played since, well, maybe ever.
If State were to defeat Auburn and LSU, watch out. The Bulldogs would be ranked in the top ten in the country, and the level of excitement in Starkville would be at a point not seen since the Bulldogs played Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game in 1998.
The coaches and players have said this two-game stretch will tell the tale of this season, and it will. State fans may find this season to be disappointing, satisfying or downright magical, but they will not have to wait long to get an idea of which one it shall be.