Students vote for Best of 2011

Wake up, eat, go to class, sleep, eat, study and sleep. Repeat. Does that sound familiar? For a plethora of college students, some variation of these words spell out the students’ daily routines. From algebra to English to biology class, many students feel as if their days just all blend together. But some Mississippi State University students have discovered a way to break through and defeat boring and unenthusiastic days. In a recent student poll, Chris Melby-Codling’s history and appreciation of artcrafts received the coveted “Most Fun Class” title. In the three-hour credit course, students create works of art through mediums such as abstract multi-media exploration, glass mosaic and ceramics.
Rachel Anderson, sophomore biological engineering major, said she really enjoyed the art projects, and the class became an opportunity to relieve stress and get away from core classes.
“It’s definitely the most fun class I have taken here. You just show up and be creative,” Anderson said.
Class instructor Melby-Codling said the purpose of the class is to satisfy a fine arts elective for students who have little or no background in art. The class is very diverse in terms of backgrounds. 
“I have engineers, biological sciences, agribusiness, animal and dairy science, human sciences, business, educators and so on,” Melby-Codling said.
This course is not a new class. Former Instructional Systems and Workforce Development Department Head, former Associate Dean of the College of Education and former History and appreciation of artcrafts instructor Richard Vasek said the class existed when he first came to campus in 1960. He also said the class was very popular then as well.
But the key question is why do students enjoy the class so much?
“The class is taught in such a way that they develop better listening skills and then put that information into practical experiences,” Melby-Codling said. “The students are constantly faced with making choices instead of being told what to do.”
Students agree with their instructor and add more advantages and rewards they received from taking the class.
Brooke Cannon, junior industrial engineering major, said Codling’s class was a completely different atmosphere from the rest of her classes.
 ”I wasn’t stressing about cramming for exams; I was relaxed working on my crafts,” Cannon said.
“I play ’70s pop music which helps the creative process. They hum, sing along or dance as they move about the room getting supplies,” Codling said.  “You walk in, and it’s like a well-oiled machine. Everyone and everything is working.”
Another benefit past and current students have benefitted from is their successful end-of-term grades.
Marilyn Coit, a sophomore undeclared major, said if work is done according to the syllabus and the directions, a student should get a good grade. 
“It is a safety cushion dealing with GPA,” Coit said. 
The artcrafts class is notorious for filling up quickly during registration and is always at capacity, but this fact does not stop the constant recommendations made by students for their peers.
“It is a really fun class that is so different from anything else most students take,” Cannon said. “I’ve had many friends take it since I did, and they all agree it is a great class that everyone should try to fit into their schedule.”
“You don’t have to be good at it; you just have to put your best effort forth, and most of the time you end up with a good product,” Anderson said. “You get to keep all your stuff which I think is pretty cool.”
“All of my projects were great Christmas gifts,” Cannon said.