Dress Your Best scholarship holds fashion show Thursday

The second annual Dress Your Best fashion show will be held Thursday in McCool Hall Atrium at 6:30 p.m. to show students what they need to wear in a professional environment. The event is co-sponsored by the business school’s honor society Beta Gamma Sigma, the Career Center and Fashion Board.
Although the highlight of the event will be a fashion show, there will also be the chance for students to have their resumes looked over by the Career Center and to have a digital headshot taken to be used for interviews.
Economics professor and Beta Gamma Sigma advisor Kathleen Thomas said the show was created after professors noticed the need for students to dress professionally during class presentations.
“We felt there was a serious need to show students how to look professional,” she said. “The Fashion Board has really helped us make the event a success. It wouldn’t be what it is without them.”
For the event, the Fashion Board collected clothes loaned from local venues, ranging from typical business outfits to business/casual. Students interested in any of the outfits will be able to find out at the event where to purchase the clothes.
Also, George Sherman of George Sherman Clothiers will hold a tie-tying contest so students can learn how to tie a tie.
Interested female students are encouraged to apply for the Dress Your Best scholarship at the event. The scholarship, which will be awarded at the end of the semester, provides female students with a complete professional outfit. Senior marketing major Emily Moak created the scholarship as a way to help students obtain a professional outfit when they might not have otherwise.
“We found that many students don’t have professional wear in their wardrobes for interviewing,” Thomas said. “This scholarship helps them to have something to start out with.”
The Career Center will also provide a booth to teach students how to clean up their social media sites for potential employers. This includes removing unwanted pictures and posts on Facebook that could potentially hurt chances of employment.
Along with learning proper dress, there will be several examples during the fashion show of what not to wear.
Students interested in digital headshots need to come to the event in professional dress, at least from the waist up.
Editor’s note: Emily Moak is the Advertisement Manager for The Reflector.