Starkville Community Theatre season begins

Friday, Sept. 9 in Starkville, four men were running around dressed as priests. No, it was not some strangely themed fraternity event, but rather the hilarious antics of the characters in “See How They Run,” the latest production from Starkville Community Theatre.
Currently in its 35th season, SCT has been entertaining since 1978. The theatre was founded by Jan Zeppelin, who saw a need for the dramatic arts in Starkville. Current SCT president, Alison Stamps, said the benefits of a community theatre are countless and the theatre appeals to a variety of people.
“It provides an outlet for art. We have amazing and talented individuals in the town, and we welcome all,” Stamps said.
This latest production appealed to more than a few individuals, including Maureen Hughes and Rick Jordan, accounting/communication major at Mississippi State University and music therapy major at Mississippi University for Women, respectively. Hughes and Jordan, both native to Starkville, have been involved with theatre since a young age. Growing up with the arts proved to be a positive experience for each of the actors. Hughes said it was during a production of “The Ugly Duckling” in the eighth grade when a director instructed her to do something with her face that she learned what acting meant.
Both students expressed a fondness for the theatre and the many rewards it can bring to participants. Jordan expressed gratitude for the friends he has been able to make through his involvement with SCT.
“You get to work with some really talented people. I love the opportunity to meet people who see the show, too,” Jordan said.
Hughes said she is aware she is part of something big.
“It’s a tradition that’s been going on for years and it’s really important … It’s very rewarding,” Hughes said.
The 89-seat theatre, which has been in its current location since 1995, hosts four main productions per season, as well as various other events and workshops. The theatre has proven itself a popular commodity and currently boasts over 500 season ticket-holders.
SCT is also the home to Fourth Fridays, which launched in 2006 as a platform for local playwrights. Since then the program has expanded to flash fiction and poetry as well. Writers can submit their work to be read on the main stage at the theatre and then receive feedback on the piece.  Thomas La Foe, former MSU student and current instructional media guide at Mitchell Memorial Library, saidthe experience is a great tool for writers.
“It really helps to hear your work, and the writers learn a lot from that … The feedback is always constructive,” La Foe said.
Fourth Fridays happen, obviously, on the fourth Friday of each month. Sept. 28 will host a reading of plays and Oct. 28 a reading of poetry. The full schedule is available at sct-online.org. Writers can email their submissions in advance to [email protected]. These events are free and all are welcome and encouraged to come enjoy the work of local writers.
The next production will be the musical “She Loves Me,” which runs from Nov. 10 through Nov. 20. Anybody interested in assisting with the production should email director Paula Mabry at [email protected].
All those involved with SCT would encourage anyone who is interested in theatre to get involved as well, whether that interest lies in performing onstage or helping backstage. La Foe originally became involved with SCT by assisting with the light board for a production his freshman year at MSU, and slowly became more immersed in the theatre, eventually performing and even directing. He said he got his current job at the library via connections he made working in the theatre.
Stamps raves about the positive experience she has had with SCT, both as a performer, director and now as president of the organization.
“Without a doubt, my favorite aspect is that feeling of friendship and family that the theatre provides,” Stamps said.
SCT is able to succeed because of help from volunteers like Stamps and La Foe. Starkville certainly would not be the same without the small venue continually providing great performances, and the performers are thankful for the opportunity to be able to produce the art they feel passionate about.
Stamps summed up her love for the theatre and for Starkville, and said the two benefit each other. She feels hopeful and excited about the future of SCT.
                  “I can tell you that we will continue to make quality productions, and we will continue to provide outreach. For those involved in SCT, theatre is a passion, and we want to spread that passion to the community,” Stamps said. Starkville Community Theatre
Those interested in more information on SCT or ways to volunteer and get involved should contact Alison Stamps at [email protected]. To subscribe to SCT’s mailing list, send a blank email to [email protected]