VT-CARES hosts festival for students

The Veterinary Medical Technology Program at Mississippi State University will host a series of events Oct. 9 to Oct. 15 to celebrate National Veterinary Technician Week. VT-CARES, the student chapter of the national veterinary technician association at MSU has planned a fall festival for the public to begin the week’s activities on Oct. 9. The festival will be held at Moncrief Dog Park from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. 
Chelsea Boutwell, promotion committee leader for VT-CARES, said students created this event as a fun way to expose veterinary medical technology as a profession.
“We are trying to get the word out there about us, about what we do and what we are there for, as well as provide a fall festival for the kids. We are going to have trick-or-treating, games and activities for the kids, as well,” Boutwell said.
Monika Toler, senior veterinary medical technology major, also helped plan the fall festival. She said in an email there will be something for everyone to enjoy at the event.
“Events and booths will include games and activities, fall pictures for pets and owners, a pet costume contest, raffle baskets, door prizes, a bake sale, and free snacks, hot dogs and drinks. The important booths will focus on pet and owner awareness, veterinarian technologist education booth, VMT at MSU awareness, sponsor booths and more,” Toler said.
Other activities to be held during Vet Tech weekinclude speaker luncheons, visits from industry representatives and an award ceremony for the student-selected Veterinary Technician of the Year from within the department, Boutwell said.
Dana Cooper, coordinator of the vet tech program, said she hopes Vet Tech week will help gain recognition for the veterinary technicians at MSU as well as recognition for the profession. She said she hopes people will learn about the many opportunities available to those with a degree in veterinary technology.
“You can go in any direction with (veterinary technology) … a veterinarian technician is essentially (a veterinarian’s) nurse. Technicians can also work at zoos; they can work in labs; they can work for industries such as drug companies; publishing companies are constantly looking for technicians to write books,” said Cooper.
MSU is the third college to offer a four-year bachelor’s degree program in veterinary medical technology and is one of less than 20 programs in the country. This is the program’s second year. The four-year program encourages students to explore other areas of the profession available besides clinical technicians, said Cooper.
The students of VT-CARES encourage those interested in learning more about veterinary medical technology to attend the fall festival on Oct. 9 where they can find more information about Vet Tech Week.