REVIEW: “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II” brings epic conclusion

Ten years ago, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” introduced its cinematic audience to a boy wizard. The then 11-year-old Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) discovered a home at Hogwarts and began a journey positioned him against the heinous Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes). In “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” Harry, Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson), must continue to destroy the horcruxes giving Voldemort immortality as Voldemort expands his web of evil.

As with the other Harry Potter movies, “Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” does not completely follow the novel. Subplots are sacrificed and events are changed to suit the vision of the film’s creators. However, unlike the past seven movies, these divergencies do not truly matter. Those looking to see the three-dimensional characters captured on screen and who want to see the spirit of the book intact will be satisfied. Never have the movies truly gotten the small nuances of character perfectly right — until this film.

Even though this has been Harry’s journey, the other wizards populating J.K. Rowling’s world are developed, even if only in small character moments. In a movie series that has sacrificed much character development over the past seven films, its conclusion startlingly gives many minor characters, along with the major players, a proper send-off.

Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis), in particular, is given a large and emotional role to play. Lewis, who has mainly acted as comedic relief since “Sorcerer’s Stone,” shows range as he portrays a heroic unlikely leader.

More than any other film, Radcliffe is called upon to bring the heart to the film — many scenes hinge on his performance. Radcliffe has grown as an actor and is able to perfectly portray the emotions Harry feels as the final battle draws closer. Both Watson and Grint also have become powerful actors and the dynamic between them and Radcliffe perfectly suits the trio Rowling brought to life.

The scale of the final movie is grand, the acting top-notch and script is both realistically dark and surprisingly comedic at times. The Harry brought to life on screen is given his proper goodbye. The emotion brought about by the movie shows the success of the filmmakers in not only creating a good movie but one worthy of the Harry Potter created by Rowling.

As with all great series, it will be hard for fans to have “Harry Potter” end again in a major way. However, Harry and the magic of Hogwarts will remain inside those who have loved and learned from him, never truly gone so long as there are those who remain loyal to him.

**** out of ****