MSU Gospel Ensemble to perform Thursday

The Mississippi State University Gospel Ensemble will have their second performance of the school year at Boardtown Village retirement community at 6 p.m. on Thursday.
The ensemble is comprised of eight members and sings an assortment of praise and worship, contemporary gospel, classical and negro spiritual music. Team Leader Chris Rogers, who formed the group in 2008, put emphasis on the vision of the ensemble.
“I felt like there were too many organizations on campus geared towards one race,” Rogers said. “I wanted to start something that was more focused on just ministry and not so much the finance or the politics.”
The group can have up to seven vocalists and three alternates, including instrument personnel. The ensemble incorporates an instrumental section that varies between combinations of drums, bass guitar and piano. They practice twice a week in the Chapel. Rogers said this year’s group presents opportunities they have not had in years past.
“One thing I’ve noticed this semester is that we have people from India, South Korea, Nigeria, some here from the United States, black and white, so I think the Lord is moving us into a whole new season concerning us ministering to more than one specific body,” Rogers said.
Prosper Ofikulu, freshman civil engineering major, came across the group a month ago while playing piano in the Chapel.
“I came to the Chapel to play the piano one day and I just met them while they were practicing. Chris called me over and asked me if I liked what I heard and asked if I could sing,” Ofikulu said.
The gospel ensemble performed for the first time this semester at a social they hosted at the Dawghouse on Sept 29. Ofikulu, on drums, and the lead guitarist broke into an improvised freestyle session in front of the 30 to 40 who attended. Rogers encourages ensemble members to showcase their skills.
“I’m a stickler for showing your talent. I really believe if you can sing, just sing, whether its in front of eight people or 800 people. I trust them to freestyle because I know they are gifted enough to do it,” Rogers said.
Taejin Park, an English as a Second Language student and a first-year member of the ensemble, said the dynamic of the group is centered around Rogers.
“I really like the ensemble because Chris is a very good leader, spiritually and musically. He is very humble. I think our group has a really good environment,” Park said.
Rogers hopes the group’s performance at Boardtown Village can initiate positive interactions with the community.
“After we sing and minister to them, we plan on spending five to 10 minutes just talking to them to see how they’re doing,” Rogers said. “We really want to touch the hearts of people, to let them know somebody cares for them.”