Komen, ZTA’s out to raise breast cancer awareness

The Komen “On the Go” pink RV will stop in front of Colvard Student Union at Mississippi State University on Oct. 12 to raise awareness through interactive exhibits about breast cancer.
Komen “On the Go” is a mobile unit that travels the nation visiting cities and universities to raise awareness of breast cancer, JuLeigh Baker, health and wellness educator for University Health Services, said.
“Their desire is to educate people about breast cancer, how to support those diagnosed with breast cancer and hope for a cure to all,” Baker said.
She said visitors to the mobile learning center will use interactive computers to learn more about breast cancer. Komen “On the Go” will equip visitors with tips for early detection of the disease and ways to help people who have  already been diagnosed.
“Some people will want to know more about early detection while others will want to learn more about supporting others that suffer from breast cancer,” Baker said. “The person will have the opportunity to tailor their experience.”
According to the Komen “On the Go” website, the stop will include recommendations about breast health, inspirational videos, information about volunteering in the area and tips for supporting others facing breast cancer.
Zeta Tau Alpha is collaborating with UHS to support the Komen “On the Go” activities during the event.
Alyssa Cathion, philanthropy chair for the sorority, said, “Having breast cancer awareness and education as Zeta’s philanthropy definitely encouraged our chapter to get involved with Komen ‘On the Go’ at Mississippi State.”
Baker said she feels breast cancer awareness is important for students because of its worldwide prevalence.
“Many students have loved ones that have been affected by breast cancer,” Baker said. “Students need to know about early detection so they can increase their chances of being a survivor.”

Cathion said the MSU chapter of ZTA raises awareness and supports breast cancer education as part of the sorority’s national philanthropy.
“For us, it’s important for the campus to be informed of the facts and statistics surrounding breast cancer, and what they can do to the best of their ability to prevent it,” she said.
Participating students will receive take-home informationabout breast cancer and Susan G. Komen for the Cure through “Komen On the Go” educational packets.
“Each person that uses the program on the RV will be given a drawstring bag with health information in it,” Baker said.
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure website said breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide but many men are diagnosed as well. In 2011, over 200,000 women and more than 2,000 men are expected to be diagnosed with new cases of the disease.
Cathion said she thinks sharing research, statistics and other information is important to raising awareness about the disease.
“The fact that breast cancer can affect anyone at any time without any previous history of illness simply makes the idea of it so much more tangible,” she said. “If people are not aware of the benefits of early detection, the number of individuals diagnosed by this fatal disease can drastically increase.”
Baker said this is the second time Komen “On the Go” has visited MSU. The success of last year’s stop led Komen “On the Go” coordinators to contact the Department of Health Education and Wellness at the Longest Student Health Center to plan this year’s event.
“Last year’s visit to Mississippi State University was one of their most successful stops, and we hope to repeat that again this year,” she said.
Komen “On the Go,” in its eighth cross-country tour, seeks to increase the public’s knowledge of breast cancer facts and issues during more than 30 stops this year.