Animal cruelty penalties may be too harsh

If you ever watch Animal Planet, then you’ve seen the various shows it produces all about pet detectives and animal cops. It follows the hardworking officers who help mistreated animals and bring their owners to justice.  I am an animal lover myself, so these shows bring tears to my eyes just as much as the next person’s. However, the question is: does the punishment fit the crime?
Recently, TheClarion-Ledger published a man’s opinion regarding the same issue. Thomas McCright, a man from Pearl, wrote in the Ledgeran article entitled “Abuse Can Be Curbed.” His idea was that while yes, offenders should be punished, is it fair to children for their parents to sit in jail for neglecting an animal? He also addresses the taxpayers, asking if they really wanted their hard-earned tax dollars keeping a felon in jail for animal cruelty.
To me, McCright makes an excellent point. Honestly, there are too many criminals out there who are a danger to our actual citizens for us to be stocking up jail cells with those who were convicted on animal cruelty charges.
Please do not misunderstand me here — harming animals in a malicious fashion is unacceptable and cruel on so many levels. The stories you hear of people training dogs to fight, or “forgetting” to feed a new litter of puppies is appalling. 
I don’t exactly grasp why anyone would want to watch animals being tortured for entertainment purposes. It’s quite sadistic, and you might need to seek help if you enjoy it. Then again, I’m not a professional, and this is just my opinion, so do with it what you’d like. Furthermore, if you are going to get a pet, why would you not make sure you are fit to care for it?  
I am aware there are people out there that will disagree with me and believe those who mistreat animals should be treated as harshly, if not more severely as those who, say, treat their children the same way. For those of you who were shocked by that statement, trust me, so was I when I heard someone say it. I hate to break it to some of you, but animals are not on the same level as humans.
While I believe God gave us authority over them, I do agree they should be treated with respect but never over the life of a person.
When we throw parents in jail who may not have nourished a pet the way they should have, or even intentionally did so, we are taking them away from their actual children who need parents as they grow just as much as puppies need theirs.
Considering McCright does think punishment should change for animal cruelty felons, he gives several suggestions in what could happen in society instead of jail time. He, as well as I, feels the need for people to be held accountable before even purchasing a pet. He suggests there be a permit purchased by each man or woman who intends to own a pet.
People will own dogs or cats simply because the initial purchase is cheap. If that price goes up with a permit purchase more people are less likely to partake. Along with the permit would be living requirements for owning an animal of a certain size and breed.
McCright also feels the need for fines and penalties that require community service. I could not agree more with this idea. While the serious offenders should suffer more than just a monetary expense, this is a great way to fight animal cruelty.
These are a few suggestions to help curb the ability for abusers to own animals. The less available animals are, the less neglect can spread. I know there are hundreds of animals that shelters are begging people to adopt, but wouldn’t you rather an animal stay in a shelter than be owned by someone who will treat it like the dirt on his or her shoe after a run in the woods?
I love animals just as much as the next person, but we must not forget; these beloved pets are not the same as the people with whom we share our lives. If we continue to throw men and women in jail who have committed a cruel act against an animal, not only has the pet suffered, but the people left behind do as well.
By requiring more stable homes in order for pets being bought and adopted, some of this may be helped for both sides.
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected]