Snow day to be made up in March

Tuesday, Mississippi State University officials announced the Jan. 10 snow day will be made up on March 26.
Jerry Gilbert, MSU Provost, said the Office of the Provost communicated with the special events office in the Colvard Student Union to see which dates would be available. The office also checked to see which weekends were clear of already scheduled events.
“There were so many spring events planned, we didn’t have many choices,” he said.
Two other dates, tomorrow and April 16, were also considered, Gilbert said.
“This Saturday was too soon, and we didn’t want to wait too long to schedule [the makeup day],” he said. “[March 26] is the Saturday after spring break, so we thought it was a good week.”
Gilbert said on March 26, a normal Monday schedule will take place unless faculty members choose to make up the time another way.
“We are not requiring faculty members to [have class on March 26],” he said. “We’re requiring them to compensate [for the snow day] in some way. We know some professors have already made up the time through recorded lectures or other means.”
He said students need to check with their instructors to learn about plans for each Monday class.
“It is key for students to communicate with their instructors,” he said. “In a week or two, instructors should have decided what they’re doing [to make up classroom time].”
Gilbert said some unavoidable conflicts are expected.
“We expect the faculty to accommodate students who have conflicts,” he said. “We are asking the faculty to be understanding to individuals who have other plans.”
Most of the MSU staff will not be required to be on campus March 26. All normal campus offices will remain closed, Gilbert said.
He said his office will speak to the Union about its schedule March 26 to help accommodate students. He also said it has not been decided how many shuttles will be running on the makeup day.