Miss. native Randy Houser takes stage at Rick’s Café Friday night

Lake, Miss., native, Randy Houser, will be performing at Rick’s Cafe Friday night. Every song Houser performs, displays a representation of his home state. Critics from The New York Times and Los Angeles Times have raved about his music as simply breaking the barrier to country music.
One might think Houser’s career began in 2005 when he teamed up with Dallas Davidson and Jamey Johnson to co-write Trace Adkins’ hit single, “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk.” However, Houser learned a deep appreciation for music from his father, a local musician. By age 13, Houser started performing in bands.  Houser was a music major at East Mississippi Community College. At the time of his father’s death, he moved to Nashville where his work ethic later earned him a position as a songwriter.
In 2008, Randy hit his big break after the video for “Out with My Boots On” was released for his first album, Anything Goes. The video became a hit after receiving praise on Fox News, “The Ellen Degeneres Show” and even Perez Hilton. The idea for the clever video came about when Drake Dixon, the son of songwriter Dillion Dixon, was seen jamming out in his carseat at a Costco parking lot. His nanny, Vicky Vaughn, grabbed a video camera to record Drake jamming out. After he was shown the footage of Drake, Houser agreed upon the idea for the music video. 
In the past few years, Houser has made appearances on “The Late Show” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” However, his work ethic earned him the privilege of inducting Little Jimmy Dickens into the Music City Walk of Fame. Houser performed alongside Dickens, Kris Kristofferson and Mel Tillis at the Ryman Auditorium for the Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge 50th Anniversary Celebration.
 In his song “Whistlin’ Dixie” Houser states his admiration in being a Mississippi State Bulldog fan.
“Mainly, people associate me as a fan of the Georgia Bulldogs,” Houser said. “Personally, it does not bother me that they might associate their Bulldogs, but I am talking about my Bulldogs.”
Houser said he had a deep sense of pride when he heard that “Whistlin’ Dixie” was played before several of the Mississippi State University football games. “Whistlin’ Dixie” explains Houser’s direct roots of growing up in Mississippi.
The location for the music video of “Whistlin’ Dixie” may be recognized as Clarksdale. The music video begins by showing footage around the Delta. Then, Houser walks out in front of the nostalgic Delta Wholesale Hardware Store.
“There is no place on this earth like Clarksdale. It has the most down-at-home atmosphere while displaying a great blues scene,” Houser said.  The decision for Clarksdale was because Houser felt the Delta represented a kinship for blues which represents Mississippi
Houser’s songwriting abilities were described by AOL’s The Boot: “As one could believe that Houser has lived every moment.”
However, the biggest inspiration for his songwriting has been home, Houser said.
“I must say that going home is a great feeling. It helps me develop a greater appreciation of where I come from,” he said.
Being home for the holidays was a great reward for Houser, since he does not go home that much; he managed to write 25 songs at home over the past several months.
Houser is one of the three finalists for the Academy of Country Music’s Top New Solo Artist. Fans of Houser can go onlineto voteacm.comand place their votes for Houser as Top New Solo Act.