Starkville gains new restaurants

Both national and Mississippi-based restaurant franchises will open locations in Starkville within the next few years.
Jon Maynard, president and CEO of Greater Starkville Development Partnership, said new restaurants coming into Starkville is positive because of the global economic decline.
“Starkville hasn’t been hit as hard [as some areas],” he said. “Companies coming into Starkville to expand their business shows a lot of confidence in [Starkville’s] economy, which is something a lot of communities aren’t getting right now.”
He said Mississippi State University is a natural attraction for businesses like Buffalo Wild Wings and Newk’s, two restaurants that will open in Starkville.
“When looking at the drivers of the [Starkville] economy, it’s the Mississippi State University students and professors who are spending money,” he said.
He said local businesses are a direct investment in the economy. The Starkville 2 percent food and beverage tax, among other things, provides money for MSU and other organizations within the city, including divisions within the GSDP.
“[The organizations] will gain direct benefits from the increase in tax revenues,” Maynard said. “They will entice more businesses to come [into Starkville].”
Buffalo Wild Wings prepares to open fall 2011
Construction on Buffalo Wild Wings will begin March 1 on site of the former University Inn’s demolished main lobby and restaurant, Larry Tabor, owner of the property, said.
 ”We wanted to develop [the University Inn property] into something that would be both an asset and be beneficial to both
Tabor and Roger Bentinck-Smith, his partner, visited Buffalo Wild Wings’ corporate headquarters and went through a training process before being awarded the opportunity to open a Starkville franchise in December, Tabor said.
Site and building plans are being developed for the restaurant, he said. Starkville’s Buffalo Wild Wings will be a Generation-Four prototype, which has different features from the older models, including interior décor.
The main entrance will face Highway 12 and have a large patio facing MSU’s football stadium.
“We hope people will enjoy this, and it will be family oriented,” he said.
Tabor said site dirt work is almost complete for the restaurant. He said the two longer buildings that remain on the property will be converted into an extended-stay hotel.
The opening of the Starkville Buffalo Wild Wings is currently planned for August 2011, Tabor said. Tabor said he hopes to have approximately 70 to 80 employees, and the hiring process will begin in the early summer and continue until the beginning of the fall 2011 semester.
“Our employee base will consist of a majority of Mississippi State students,” he said. “We invite any MSU student who is interested in working at Buffalo Wild Wings to apply.”
Scott Easton, director of operations for the Starkville Buffalo Wild Wings, will begin the interviewing process in May, Tabor said.
Buffalo Wild Wings has over 300 corporate-owned and 400 franchise-owned restaurants throughout the United States. Starkville’s Buffalo Wild Wings will feature many widescreen TVs to play sports events and one of the main entrees will be chicken wings prepared in different sauces, Tabor said.
Newk’s plans to come to Starkville
Newk’s officials are currently working to negotiate a lease with a potential landlord in Starkville, Franchise Operations Manager Stephen Hinkis said. 
Even if this specific lease falls through, Hinkis said a Newk’s will open in Starkville.
“We do well in communities that have colleges,” he said. “This is our demographic. [Starkville] is a good opportunity, and people are familiar with the brand.”
He said Newk’s provides a quality product for students because of the restaurant’s culinary-driven concept.
Hinkis said coming to Starkville would not only benefit the company but the community as well.
“It would create jobs and another option for people to eat,” he said. “Creating jobs is important to us.”
Thirty Newk’s are already open in the US and seven are under construction, not counting the one coming to Starkville, Hinkis said. He said most of the food preparation is done in-house.
Off-campus Chick-fil-A is a high possibility
A Chick-fil-A may open adjacent to Buffalo Wild Wings, managing member of the Cotton Mill Development Group, LLC Mark Nicholas said.
“We are in discussions with Chick-fil-A, and there is a good possibility it, along with several other restaurants, some Mississippi and some nationally branded, will [come to Starkville],” he said.
Nicholas said some of the new restaurants are planned to open in fall 2011 and others in fall 2012.
“We’re working hard with the city and university to create something special for everyone there,” he said.