MTV’s show presents false idea of teenage reality

The new MTV television series “Skins” is making waves in the world of parental controls. The recent uprising is due to the graphic content of sex, drugs and alcohol on the new teen show. While it has captured the attention of many, most of that attention is quite negative. The Parents Television Council has made it quite apparent to the network they are not happy with the show that is broadcasted to millions on a weekly basis.
I can say I have personally seen an episode or two of “Skins,” and as a college student viewing this publicly broadcasted show, I was a bit alarmed at the content. Granted, by the time most of us leave our collegiate career, we have either seen, heard of or possibly even experienced some of the situations these young teens are going through.
However, high school and college are two very different worlds. I think you all could agree to that. I can remember being in high school, and while some of my friends may have been experimenting with a different lifestyle, it was generally never on the level this show portrays as the “average” teen.
I find it extremely humorous how commercials for shows like “Skins” are said to portray the “secret” or “real” life of the American teenager. I don’t know about you, but I don’t remember knowing many 15- and 16-year-olds who live with absolutely no rules, while popping high-dosage pills and getting drunk on a regular basis. It seems just a little extreme. Regardless if this is happening in the real world or not, why would you want to capitalize on such destructive behavior?
Everyone has heard the phrase “sex sells,” but is it OK when media is trying to do that through fictional lives of teenagers? Our country has strict laws concerning statutory rape, legal age of marriage and the type of content young children can be involved in, even in a fictional work. This is all done for the well-being of the child. Furthermore, is it safe for absolutely anyone to be able to watch this show?
There are so many things on television today I would never in my life want my 8-year-old cousin to even accidentally flip through. That’s why many of those shows are on channels that must be purchased or monitored with an age preference.
The convenience for MTV is it is a channel included on most basic cable packages. This requires for the show to have its own supporters and advertisements to aid in its production. Bossip.com had a recent article about the show and what is happening to its advertisers due to the bad review given by the PTC.
Many advertisers involved with this show have recently pulled out of the project, saying it was not a good fit for their company or that they had no intent to support content that could offend their consumers. A few of these supporters include Taco Bell and General Motors, the latter of whom pulled their Chevrolet Volt ad.
The PTC went on to comment they would personally target every advertiser who has helped sponsor this show that is excusing and accepting teen drug and alcohol abuse as well as a vast majority of sexual content. It plans to hit these sponsors where it hurts in an attempt to shut down the production of such an illicit television series.
I think it is important we sensor what we watch, listen to and involve ourselves in.
While a show like “Skins” may not faze someone of an older age and experienced life, I would hate to see the reaction of a high school kid who has just entered his or her teen years. It gives an inaccurate picture of what is going on in teenagers’ lives, and how they may cope with issues that arise.
I can admit shows like this grab our attention very quickly because they are so “in your face,” but I can’t say I’ll miss it much when the PTC gets its way and has it taken off the air. Maybe next time MTV will make a show all about the real life of a southerner, including our lack of shoes, showers and sufficiently standing structures. Thank you for your accuracy, MTV — it’s always appreciated.
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at
[email protected]