Makeup, pretty outfits bring joy to lives

Inan article published in The Reflectoron Tuesday, Delilah Schmidt criticizes the United States for exporting beauty and its interpretation. I feel as though this was completely and totally wrong and not necessary.
As a female, I enjoy spending time getting dressed in the morning. Putting on makeup, picking out an outfit and fixing my hair are all activities I love doing, and they make me feel better about myself and more confident. I don’t do these things because I feel pressured by the media but rather because I enjoy the compliments I receive when I do dress nicely.
While possibly sounding vain, this confidence extends to other parts of my life. It helps me to approach my schoolwork with a “can do” attitude, and it also assists in social situations.
Not to mention, makeup is not a new invention of our culture. Native American’s often used warpaint to prepare for battle. Did this help in any other way, than psychologically? Why can’t we use that same method to gain confidence today?
Another loosely related topic Schmidt addresses is that of beauty products geared toward children. She begins this by addressing child beauty pageants.
Although shows like “Toddlers and Tiaras” may be extreme, child beauty pageants aren’t necessarily wrong, either. As a child, I was often in an annual pageant in my hometown called the Water Carnival. There is only one occasion I mildly remember. I wore curlers to bed the night before and put on fake red nails the day of. This is the only memory I have of the many times I participated in the pageant, and the only reason I remember that much is because it happened to be the only time I won. Therefore, not winning did not adversely affect my self-esteem.
Schmidt next addressed a line of products targeted specifically toward tweens, including a portion of the line meant to help girls maintain clear skin, such as exfoliating. She also later points out girls are reaching puberty at younger and younger ages.
Well, reaching puberty could mean you are beginning to reach physical adulthood, but it also is accompanied by this awful, terrible thing called acne. Products geared toward this new age group experiencing skin trouble are in great need. Soap and water may not be enough to combat acne and, in some skin types, may make situations worse.
Isn’t puberty what triggers people to start caring about their appearances, anyway? It’s the age that beckons in that awful, awkward stage. You go from being an adorable little girl to a pudgy, acne-infested tween. Makeup is a tool to help the transition. This tool is something women can begin to use at a young age and use for the rest of their lives to increase confidence.
Although I can agree the U.S. often influences other countries, it is hard to exporting beauty being evil, especially in the name of feminism.
Isn’t the point of feminism to empower women and, if so, what’s empowering about not caring about your appearance? I feel most inspired and empowered on days when I look nice and put together, and that’s how most people are.
Don’t believe me? When someone compliments your appearance, what is your body’s first response? You stand a little taller, your smile gets a little brighter and you just can’t keep yourself from laughing. Even when you jokingly respond in the contrary, hearing someone say you’re pretty just makes you happy.
Julia Pendley is the managing editor of The Reflector. She can be contacted at [email protected]