After redshirt season, highly-touted Eulls preps for game action

Kaleb Eulls came to Mississippi State University in 2010 after an illustrious career at Yazoo County High School. Eulls garnered first team All-State honors as both a quarterback and defensive end, was selected to play in the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star game and was also selected to play in the Offense vs. Defense All-American game. He was named to the Clarion Ledger’s Dandy Dozen – a list of the top 12 players in Mississippi High School football regardless of classification.
Eulls was offered by the likes of Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee. He was even a national story when he tackled a girl with a loaded gun on his school bus, and presumably, saved several lives, as there were 22 people on the bus. After this, he got interviews with MSNBC, “Good Morning America” and The Huffington Post to name a few.
With all the attention for his football prowess and his heroic off the field actions, most would expect a then 18-year-old senior to develop somewhat of an ego – not Kaleb Eulls.
Through all of these events, all of these teams pulling him this way and that, Kaleb maintained a 3.3 core GPA and stayed true to his commitment with the Bulldogs.
In December of his senior year, Eulls shut down all of the talk surrounding his recruitment in an interview with Scout.com’s Yancy Porter.
“The last day before the dead period started, Alabama came by [on a Friday]. They told me what they had to offer and wanted to see if there was a date I could visit so I could check out their program, but I said thanks but no thanks,” said Eulls. “I am going to talk to all of the coaches and tell them that I appreciate the chance for me to play for them, but I am going to stick with State.”
Eulls signed with MSU in February and got to work. Players of Eulls caliber often come in with expectations to play as freshmen or even start. Eulls came in with a workman like attitude, and when his coaches decided to redshirt him, he did not protest.
“[Redshirting] was a good thing, it was a good year,” Eulls said. “I was able to watch and learn.”
His position coach and new defensive coordinator, Chris Wilson, also said he thinks Eulls’ redshirt year was a huge success.
“He kept his weight down, but got stronger and kept all of his athleticism and flexibility,” said Wilson. “He really worked hard under Coach Balis this offseason, and the results have shown.”
Eulls already had an imposing figure at 6’4″, 275 pounds, but he has transformed his body to prepare for the rigors of SEC football. A hot topic for MSU football enthusiasts and talking heads has been who will replace departing defensive end Pernell McPhee, and, perhaps a related question, where will Eulls line up? Eulls believes he will end up at tackle.
“The coaches talk a lot about moving me to tackle, and I just want to do what is best for the team,” he said.
Wilson, however, said Eulls will play both – much like McPhee and junior defensive tackle Fletcher Cox have done for the MSU defense.
“We are planning on lining him up at both tackle and end. His athleticism gives us a lot of options. He can move inside to the three-technique, but he can also rush passers and play in space off of the edge,” he said.
So after a year in the weight room and on the scout team, look for Eulls to make an impact for MSU this spring and in the fall when it counts. The news of his ability to line up both inside and outside should be great news to MSU fans because it also allows the Dawgs to go with a three man front on defense at times. This will give Wilson the opportunity to get more safeties on the field which is a position where MSU has more SEC-caliber players than spots on the field. 
Eulls said he has been very encouraged with spring practice so far.
“Every position is like a competition,” Eulls said. “Guys are really stepping up and taking on larger roles. As we keep getting more experience, I think we will continue to get better.”
MSU fans should not forget Eulls’ name. He has been successful in the on and off the field, and he shows no signs of stopping soon.