Public religion talk makes some feel uncomfortable

There are many things that never see me shirtless, nor will you ever be able to touch my neck or massage me; my heart starts racing at the anxiety of it. But in my six years of being in the South, there is one thing that still makes me more uncomfortable than any of the peculiar things mentioned above: Jesus. It’s not the fact that He exists — I, myself, am a part of a strong Catholic family — but merely the topic of Him being brought up in everyday conversation.
We’ve all been in talks that start innocently with someone we hardly know, perhaps about the weather, sports or my amazing legs, when all of a sudden “the big guy upstairs” is mentioned. It is right about here when my blood pressure drops. I wish I knew the reason why this occurs. I am completely fine debating religion and its merits with close friends, but when God is thrown into a conversation unannounced, I start to feel like Anne Hathaway hosting the Oscars — beautiful but totally helpless.
To me, religion has always been a personal choice, and like abortion, politics or sex, I feel it is best left ignored in introductory conversations.
This is not an issue of me being uncomfortable in my beliefs; I just don’t care to impose them so quickly on others. You see, by inserting God into this initial discussion we now enter a gray area for which we may all have differing opinions.
Now, before you start writing an e-mail to the editors condemning them for printing this, please know I mean no disrespect to those who frequent Godly conversations. I understand witnessing and speaking about Jesus is a major component of the Christian faith, but I have a hard time accepting religion should be constantly referenced in opening conversations, Facebook statuses or tweets.
Some of you are thinking you have every right to discuss your religion anytime you please, and you would be right. But in doing so, you may be turning others off from the one thing you love the most and are trying to have others partake.
The other day I was eavesdropping at the Union, and this female student kept badgering a friend of hers to finally attend a
Bible study. After the third excuse of why she could not attend, the girl let up only to then invite her to a mission trip over spring break. All the while the other girl kept getting agitated and finding excuses to avoid going.
There is nothing wrong with inviting someone to church; I have done it numerous times. But I do think there is a point in which we need to let others decide for themselves and stop hitting them over the head with our beliefs. Instead of repeating verses and looking down on those who may not believe your specific principles, try being a standup individual, and you will see perhaps this is the best form of witnessing.
If you are able to put down the Bible and open your ears or mind you could be far more effective in reaching out.
Incessantly harping on religion and telling someone of his or her wrongdoings will result in rejection of God altogether. When the time is right, the other person will let you know when he or she is ready to discuss his or her spiritual well-being. Maybe it has to do with my Midwestern upbringing where religion is more privately cherished, but I do not think I am alone even here at MSU.
Let us remember no one is perfect, and when you, the spiritual one, dish out unwarranted guidance from the start, there is truly just one person who can judge our actions. *Looks to the heavens.*
Patrick Young is a graduate
student majoring in public policy
and administration He can be
contacted at opinion@reflector.
msstate.edu.