Lots of new faces for Mullen as spring football begins

As the calendar turns to March, the next phase of the offseason program began yesterday as Dan Mullen opened his third round of spring practice at 4:30 p.m.
Mullen met with reporters on Wednesday and discussed some of the issues facing the team as it prepares for the 2011 season, including the position battles that will continue until the season opener against Memphis on Sept. 3. Just two months removed from their Gator Bowl victory over Michigan, Mullen said one of the main things he and strength coach Matt Balis (who may spend more time with the players than any coach in the offseason) have stressed is not becoming complacent.
“These guys now worked really hard, got to see some success, and people are patting them on the back, but they have to understand that they have to work even harder now,” Mullen said. “That is what is needed for us to take it to the next step.”
Perhaps the most significant void from the departing group of seniors is at the linebacker position, where the Bulldogs will be tasked with replacing standouts Chris White and K.J. Wright.
Mullen listed a number of possibilities to play the two inside linebacker spots, including Deontae Skinner, Mike Hunt, Jamie Jones, Christian Holmes and Fernando Bohanna. The spring depth chart — which Mullen admitted could change by the time practice started yesterday — listed junior Cameron Lawrence, senior Brandon Wilson and Hunt as the starters at linebacker.
“With all of those guys, now it’s their opportunity to step to the forefront,” Mullen said. “Their time to go make the plays. They can’t just sit there and rely on somebody else.”
The Bulldogs are also adjusting to new coaches at three different positions. Manny Diaz’s departure for Texas shortly after the Gator Bowl means Chris Wilson is now the defensive coordinator. Mullen brought in Geoff Collins from Florida International to fill the co-defensive coordinator role Wilson held last season.
Angelo Mirando, a graduate assistant last year, has taken over as wide receivers coach for Mark Hudspeth, who is now the head coach at Louisiana-Lafayette. The coaching changes do not worry Mullen, though.
“Not seeing Pernell McPhee, K.J. Wright and Chris White is gonna have me a lot more concerned than any lack of coaches or different coaches on the field,” Mullen said.
Tobias Smith is expected to be the only player that will miss most of spring practice, according to Mullen. Smith, a junior offensive lineman, underwent shoulder surgery in early January.
Receiver Chad Bumphis, who broke his collarbone in last year’s Egg Bowl victory, is a “full go” for spring practice, Mullen said. He also added that tight end Marcus Green, who suffered a torn ACL early in the season, will participate in spring practice but will be somewhat limited in what he does.
The biggest position change on the depth chart comes from one of the biggest bodies on the roster. James Carmon, a 6’7″, 330-pound senior, switched from defensive tackle to left tackle in the practices leading up to the Gator Bowl.
Mullen said experienced linemen like seniors Quentin Saulsberry and Addison Lawrence have spent a lot of time working with Carmon on making the transition.
“He has all the talent in the world,” Mullen said. “It’s going to be working on the fundamentals, understanding the offense and how to use the offense to help him be a better player.”
The Bulldogs will be replacing starters Derek Sherrod and J.C. Brignone from last year’s squad. Saulsberry is slotted to start at center, Carmon and Lawrence at the tackles,  with Gave Jackson and Tobias Smith at the guard spots.
With McPhee now preparing for the NFL draft, Mullen said the depth at defensive end is “really scary for us.”
While Chris Relf appears to have a firm grip on the starting quarterback position, Mullen said he will still evaluate the body of work in the offseason of all the QBs on the roster before making a final decision. He also said that in spring practice the team will change quarterbacks every three plays.
“Like we’ll do at every position, at the end of spring we’ll evaluate where we are, who performed where, and that’ll give us at least a starting point for fall camp and go from there,” Mullen said.
All spring practices will be open to the public, and they will culminate with the Maroon-White Spring Game on April 9.