Nuclear energy offers America alternative

The recent earthquake in Japan has caused many people to voice their opinions on whether we still should look toward nuclear energy to meet at least some of our energy needs.
Nuclear energy is basically controlled nuclear reactions. Nuclear energy provides only a fraction of the world’s energy and electricity. I think it should be more, and I predict that it will be eventually.
Despite the recent earthquake in Japan, nuclear energy use should be increased. We cannot keep relying so heavily on oil from the Middle East to make gas.
I know there are places outside of the Middle East we get oil from, but this is the area most people think of as being sellers to the United States. Many of these countries are politically unstable.
I never can understand why we continue buying oil from countries that don’t even like us. We surely don’t like them. The oil prices always increase every summer. But it’s not summer yet. It’s barely spring. And it was still winter when the natural disaster took place in Japan.
It seems as if the oil-producing countries seem to have a lot of control over the United States as they price gouge. Many politicians talk a good game about transitioning our country off of oil or at least lessening our imports. Talk is cheap.
I think they have some kind of secret agreement with the oil companies because no changes ever come about as Americans suffer while paying these high prices for fuel. Those politicians don’t have to worry about fuel because, in many cases, they use taxpayer dollars when they travel.
In general, I am a believer of waiting until I see things instead of listening to people talk.
Nuclear energy, like every energy source we can use, has its advantages and disadvantages. I mean, even oil has its advantages and disadvantages, but yet we still are naïve and use it as our main source. Oil is dirty and non-renewable. It will run out because we keep using more and more of it. Do I need to say more?
Nuclear energy works because of nuclear fission. Some of the nuclear energy is produced naturally while the rest is man-made. When nuclear energy is  made naturally, it’s like the Sun making light and heat by nuclear reactions. Nuclear reactors are the machines that provide electricity for some cities.
If nuclear energy works well providing electricity for whole cities, then that should be enough reason for more cities to follow their lead.
Coal and oil are limited on Earth. They are dispersed unevenly. Nuclear power could still be produced once coal and oil run out or become scarce. It’s only a matter of time. What will we do then? I say we become proactive by being more in control of our energy than reactive.
Nuclear power plants need less fuel to run than those that use fossil fuels. I think nuclear power plants run correctly will contaminate the air less than coal and oil plants. I’m sure everyone wants cleaner air to breathe.
Reactor meltdowns, if used correctly, were supposed to react to a disaster like the one in Japan. With the way technology is developing these days, it’s just a matter of time before people come up with something that will work every time. Apparently, the meltdown reactors weren’t used properly.
Some people say nuclear power shouldn’t be used because it’s not safe. Well, coal mining isn’t safe, but people die from that, too.
It seems like accidents happen in almost anything “safe.” At this point, I am willing to try anything because I am tired of paying the super high gas prices which are expected (as always) to rise in the summer as people go on vacations.
Christopher Webb is a junior majoring in  business administration. He can be contacted at [email protected]