United for change

MLK+Breakfast
Erin Parker – The Reflector
MLK Breakfast

Mississippi State University hosted its 24th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Unity Breakfast Monday morning at The Mill Conference Center.
The ballroom was packed with all ages and races, all uniting to shine a light on  King’s legacy.
Former Representative for District 38, Tyrone Ellis was the keynote speaker. He spoke strongly about one’s duty to serve, and the importance of being proactive toward change.
“Remember the responsibility of the dream,” Ellis said. “You just can’t talk about it, you have to do something about it.”
It was evident through Ellis’ speech he embodies the dreams of King. He served his state and community for 38 years in the Mississippi House of Representatives, and continues to serve during his retirement.
While serving for District 38, Ellis mentioned he had to endure prejudice attitudes, similar to King. Not only did Ellis serve his state and community, he also served his country in the military.
“We all have an innate responsibility to serve in some capacity,” Ellis said.
Community leaders, members of the community and surrounding areas, students and MSU officials gave Ellis several sincere standing ovations filled with smiles.
After his speech, Mark Keenum, president of MSU, presented Ellis with a cowbell.
The mayor of Starkville, Lynn Spruill, also presented Ellis with a proclamation and a key to the city.
“You are a wonderful friend to the city,” Spruill said.
MSU’s Black Voices sang various selections uplifting the oppressed and encouraging all to keep reaching for change.
The Kappa Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. delivered a moving tribute to King, reiterating King’s legacy and the positive effect he has had on America, specifically the African-American community.
“Dr. Martin Luther King was a member of the Sigma chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., and it was only right and our responsibility to show gratitude toward his legacy,” said LaDarrion Grant, member of Kappa Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha.
Students also took part in this momentous occasion. Student volunteers took part in the 7th Annual MLK Day of service at 20 different service partners in Starkville and surrounding areas.
Danielle Scott, a Sophomore biological engineering major said the volunteer opportunity helped her reflect on the sacrifice of those before her.
“I volunteered at the Palmer Home for Children Thrift Store with I.D.E.A.L Woman. While organizing clothes, I kept in mind the values of selflessness and sacrifice true leaders like Dr. King held,” Scott said.
Members of the Starkville community were also moved by the program.
Wanda Kirkwood, a special education teacher at Starkville High School said it was “an awesome service and a great experience for my 9-year-old son.”
Ellis mentioned he humbly accepted the invitation to speak at the Unity Breakfast, and it offered him a platform to thank his supporters and the community for their continuous service. He also saw this significant opportunity as a way to “help change the narrative of Dr. King that a lack of knowledge has caused.”
Continuing to push toward a better community in Mississippi and America, Ellis encourages MSU to continue expanding its diversity.
“Looking beyond the color of a person’s skin, at the depth of character, and what’s inside of them will help us overcome,” Ellis said.