Dawgs after Dark continues with a Rave at the Perry

Emma Moffett – The Reflector

Mississippi State University’s Center for Student Activities sponsored a late-night rave at the Perry Cafeteria on Saturday. Students came to enjoy food, chill with friends, dance to amazing songs and have an exciting time.
The “Rave at the Perry” is part of Dawgs after Dark, a series of programs the Division of Student Affairs is sponsoring this semester. There is a Dawgs after Dark event happening every weekend this semester, students can find the full schedule on OrgSync.
Associate Director of Residence Life Dante Hill said, if the events are popular, students can expect them to last far into the future
“There are plans to keep late night events going for each semester, depending on how well Rave at the Perry went,” Hill said.
Hill said the events help the Center of Student Activities to accomplish a few different goals.
“We chose to do this because we wanted to make more late-night events available to students, and it’s just good to have something for the students to do on the weekends,” Hill said. “These events are also an effective way to promote other activities, such as resident advisor applications that went live recently.” 
Several students said they had nothing planned before learning about the event, and were glad there was something to do on campus.
One student who attended the event, Deja Lind, junior human development and family science major, said she is glad an event was scheduled for the weekend.
“It is a good event to come to when you don’t get to go home on the weekends,” Lind said.
Lind said it is a fantastic way to hang with friends and meet new people and she plans on going to other weekend events.
Kenzie Bloom, the area coordinator for residence life, said having the event was a great opportunity for students.
“It is a fantastic opportunity to have something available for students to do on a Saturday night,” Bloom said.
Philip Vanderleest, also known as DJ GLOtron, has been a DJ for 9 years and is a MSU alumnus, holding a degree in aerospace engineering.
Vanderleest said he was thought the events are offering students unique ways to have fun in Starkville and hopes all the events are a success.
“Dawgs after Dark is a wonderful opportunity to get together, dance and see other people that students don’t normally get to see every day and it’s a terrific way to have fun,” Vanderleest said.
The next event the Center for Student Activities will sponsor as part of Dawgs After Dark will be a lip sync competition. The event will be taking place at 9 p.m. Friday in the Dawg House on the first floor of the Colvard Student Union.