Column: 2017 was a great year in film

Best of 2017

A big part of the New Year is reflecting on the previous year. For me, part of this means looking back at my favorite movies of the year.
Keep in mind, this is a list of my favorite movies of the year, not necessarily the best. Like many lists, this is purely subjective, so my list is going to look completely different from your list.
It is also worth noting I did not see every film that came out last year. I hope to see some films like “The Florida Project,” “I, Tonya” and “The Post” before the Oscars roll around in March, but I have not been able to yet.
Sitting at number 10 is the surprise hit “Baby Driver.” I was looking forward to this movie from the moment I saw the trailer, and it did not disappoint. Director Edgar Wright brings this stylish and sleek film to life with his unique directing style and a killer soundtrack. With as much energy as the film has, Wright brings us wonderful and complete characters who are easy to root for. This film is well-deserving of your time.
At number nine sits the smash horror movie “It.” I was surprised by much I enjoyed this movie. I was as scared as I was completely engaged in the story. Bill Skarsgard is incredible as the killer clown, Pennywise. There are a few moments which had me backpedaling into my seat, but what really anchors this film are the kids. Every one of them nailed it, and really helped ground the film. Finn Wolfhard and Sophia Lillis are the two standouts. You will be as equally invested in the kids as you are with the scares. If you are a horror movie lover, this one is for you.
The James Franco comedy “The Disaster Artist” comes in at number eight. This movie is as heartwarming as it is hilarious. Telling the true story of the making of the infamous movie “The Room,” “The Disaster Artist” is excellent. Franco absolutely disappears as Tommy Wiseau and delivers the best performance of his career. The movie does an excellent job of showing how ridiculous the whole situation is, while still making viewers feel bad for Wiseau. This movie was such a pleasant surprise, and really deserves a spot on this list.
Next is the little indie film “Lady Bird.” The more I think about it, the more I enjoy this one. This movie relies on the performances, and they are all stellar. Saorise Ronan is immaculate as Lady Bird, and I think she has a real shot at winning an Oscar for this role. The film almost feels like a documentary, in the sense it felt like I was watching someone’s real life. This movie felt real, honest, uplifting and even heartbreaking at times. Director Greta Gerwig delivers an honest take on what it is like to be a teenager, and it is truly something special to watch.
Coming in at number six is the third and final installment of the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy, “War for the Planet of the Apes.” The biggest fault is the title is slightly misleading. There is not much of a war in this movie, but instead, you get a brilliant character piece on Caesar. The script and directing are flawless, and the visual effects are the best I have seen. Andy Serkis plays Caesar and delivers an out-of-this-world performance. This film provides an incredible ending to a severely underrated trilogy. 
Coming in at number five is Hugh Jackman’s final performance as Wolverine in the movie “Logan.” This is an incredibly emotional movie. I found myself crying multiple times throughout the film, and I certainly was not expecting this reaction going in. “Logan” is up there with “The Dark Knight” in terms of redefining the superhero movie genre. Both Patrick Stewart and newcomer Dafne King add an extra layer to this amazing character piece. Director James Mangold finally delivers the Wolverine movie we have desperately wanted for years.
Number four is Christopher Nolan’s latest Masterpiece, “Dunkirk.” I think this movie is a masterpiece, and one shot away from perfection. Nolan does an incredible job of telling an incredible story in an interesting and engaging way. The cinematography and score alone make this film worth seeing. With very little dialogue, Nolan crafts one of the tensest and captivating movies I have seen in a while. 
Coming in at number three is “The Big Sick.” I love this movie. This movie is like a big warm hug every time I watch it. Not only it is a truly funny comedy, but this movie has so much heart. Kumail Nanjiani wrote and stars in this movie, and I cannot wait to see what he does next. What really elevates this film to the next level is the fact it is the true story of how Nanjiani met his wife. If you want to feel good about life, “The Big Sick” should be the next film on your list.
Number two is one of the smartest films I have ever seen, “Get Out.” This movie is terrifying, both socially and mentally. What Director Jordan Peele has done is given us a social thriller, and it works on every level. The script is air-tight, the performances are excellent, the comedy is perfect and everything clicks. I firmly believe is it one of the best movies of the year. The end of the movie provided one of my favorite theater experiences ever, which only adds to how much I love this film. Even if you are not a horror fan, you need to watch this movie.
Finally, coming in at number one is “Blade Runner 2049.” This is the kind of movie to inspire future directors. It is the kind of movie which makes me love movies. Denis Villeneuve does an incredible job of building a world that feels lived in. The cinematography is out of the world, the score is beautiful and the acting across the board is wonderful. Harrison Ford delivers his best performance in years, and Ryan Gosling cements himself as one of my favorite actors today. This movie inspired my first think piece and countless hours of conversations with other people who have seen it. Without question, this is my favorite movie of the year.
As I mentioned earlier, this list is purely subjective. I would love to hear what you would add to the list or take off, and what your favorite movie of the year is. If you would like to share your thoughts on my list or share your own list, email [email protected].