An extended College Football Playoff will never work

CFP limits to four teams

The drama of an overtime thriller, the passion of a fan base with fans traveling hours to watch their team–the cult that is college football is what it is because of the fans and the players.
The challenges the college football world face are that there has to be a balance between the interest of the fans who shell out the cash for the games and the safety of student athletes who play the game.
Before 2014, the Bowl Championship Series rankings were in place to determine which two teams would play in the national championship game. This caused a lot of controversy, especially one year when two Southeastern Conference teams made it to the championship.
The College Football Playoff was essentially created to prevent two things from happening. The purpose of the new playoff format is to not only try and avoid a rematch of two teams, but also to ensure the best four teams have a shot at the national championship.
One of the differences between the National Football League and college football is a NFL team could lose to a really bad team in the regular season without it affecting their standing too badly because as long as they make playoffs, they still have a shot at the championship. The loss Ohio State suffered to Iowa this past season is one of the reasons they did not make the playoffs. This one game had huge implications on their season.
With each regular season game playing such an important role in qualifying a team for the playoffs, an expansion of the playoffs would take away some importance of regular season games. The implications of huge games mean fans get to see the best entertainment on the field, which they pay for. 
Another reason not to expand the college football playoffs is some teams will play 16-game seasons, and the biggest concern should be player injury. The more games there are, the more chances there are for young students to have head trauma, which can have catastrophic consequences because brains do not fully develop until the age of 25, according to Rita Sather and Amit Shelat with the University of Rochester Medical Center
Not to mention if we moved to an eight-team playoff, there will be two teams outside of it who strongly believe they deserve to be in the playoff. Soon enough, there would be a year-long playoff where all 129 teams play in a bracket to determine the real national champion, if we really want to be fair. While I am joking, it would open the door for even more controversy.
If the playoff ever expands, I believe it would have a better chance of succeeding with a six-team playoff where the top two teams get byes. This could have ensured University of Central Florida, Ohio State University and Auburn University a shot to prove why they deserved or did not deserve to be in the playoffs.
As a nation full of people crazy about sports, we need to remember: this is college, these are young men and these are student athletes. We need to take care of our student athletes first, and do what is best for them.