Bully statue vandalized over weekend

Lindsay Pace – The Reflector

Mississippi State University’s bully statue, a treasured on-campus staple, was vandalized with red spray paint either late Friday night or early Saturday morning, according to the MSU Police Department.

Red graffiti paint defaced Mississippi State University’s Bully statue in the Junction this weekend, and MSU Police Department is looking for the perpetrator(s).
The vandalism allegedly took place late Friday night or early Saturday morning, according to MSUPD.
The date “11/17” and the phrase “Woo Pig” were painted on the white base of the statue by the culprit(s). MSU’s football team plays the University of Arkansas on Nov. 17, and “Woo Pig Sooie” is the Arkansas hog call, according to UA’s website.
MSU Chief Communications Officer Sid Salter said portions of the Junction are under video surveillance, but he did not specify if the statue is within the cameras’ views.
Salter also said the vandalism is a weighty crime.
“The incident remains under investigation,” Salter said. “The university does consider this type of intentional damage a serious crime. While this type of thing has happened in prior years, this is the first incident of vandalism in some time.”
Two years ago, perpetrators vandalized Davis Wade Stadium with Ole Miss graffiti.
The statue affected this weekend, which is a bonze cast of former mascot TaTonka, was placed in the Junction by the university in 2008.
The police department has asked for those with information regarding the vandalism to call or text 662-325-2121.