MSU volleyball stay on road for first two SEC games

Kelly Donoho

08-24-18 VB vs MS Valley State Alleah Stamatis #7 sets up the ball Photo by Kelly Donoho

Mississippi State University (4-9) will open its SEC conference schedule this week with matches against the University of South Carolina (9-1) and the University of Florida (9-3), after an up and down non-conference schedule.

“I think seeing such a diverse group of teams helped us with making in-game adjustments,” head coach Julie Darty said. “I am pleased with how much we have grown as a group. I know we still have a lot to learn and things to improve upon, but this group is moving in the right direction and totally committed to that process.”

The team will travel to Columbia College, South Carolina, in their first SEC game. Columbia is a familiar place for Darty, who was the associate head coach for South Carolina from 2012-2013 before coaching at Jacksonville State University, and then coming to MSU.

“I am excited to go back to Columbia. It was a really special time for me when I coached there,” Darty said. “However, this is a really special opportunity for me at Mississippi State. I am excited to go in as the coach of this program and see the Gamecocks from across the net. Starting SEC play is always a fun and exciting time, and I am really looking forward to seeing what the team can do as we get into conference play.”

MSU will then take a trip down the coast to Gainesville, Florida, to face the national runner-up, University of Florida. Thayer Hall, a freshman from Spartanburg, South Carolina, is a standout for the Gators. Hall, who started off her college career in games against Nebraska and Texas with 20 and 21 kills respectively, will be a key player for the Gators when they take on the MSU squad.

“The whole team is excited to play against such a talented player on such a talented team,” Darty said. “To be honest, I don’t think that the freshman that we brought in really have anyone labelled as ‘the best freshman in the country,’ and I think that’s okay. I think they respect the whole Florida team, and they haven’t really circled one player as the best.”

The SEC season will be a tough road for MSU as the preseason poll has them ranked last, after only winning one conference game last year. Darty said the main goals for her first season with MSU should be to focus on the little things.

“Finding that consistent level of play, and to improve on our side of the net,” Darty said. “My expectations for this part of our season is all about growth and improvement, and just enjoying the game.”

Amarrah Cooks leads the team with 121 kills, Kendall Murr has 205 digs, Morgan Kath has 370 assists and Amarrah Cooks has 38 blocks this season. 

The team will be on the SEC network 6 p.m. Sept. 21 against South Carolina. The match against Florida is at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 23 on SEC+. The Bulldogs will return home next week against Auburn on Sept. 26.