Spookvegas is here

Basic+RGB
Basic RGB

With Halloween just around the corner, there are plenty of local events inviting students and the Starkville community to kindle the Halloween spirit.

A Halloween comic fest will take place this Saturday from 12 to 8 p.m at The Last Page, a comic and book store downtown. The store’s owner, Skyland Thompson, said this is the store’s first time to host an holiday event.

The event will include free Halloween-themed comic books, featuring major comic stars such as Ms. Marvel and Thor. There will also be a costume contest. Participants can come dressed in their costumes, and at the end of the day, the winner will be awarded in-store credit.

For the fourth year in a row, the Kappa Sigma fraternity will host its annual haunted night in the Kappa Sigma fraternity house. The event will benefit the Reclaim Project, a Starkville-based nonprofit caring for widows and orphaned children in Lesotho, Africa.

Trevor Faulkner, an MSU student and the chairman for the event, said he believes the event is a creative fundraiser.

“It is a unique way to raise money that people don’t normally do,” Faulkner said. ”It is also just really fun. I get a big kick our people being scared while enjoying it at the same time.”

The haunted house has accounted for approximately one-third of the charity’s annual funds since 2014. Alongside the general charity donations, the proceeds will fund a spring break mission team to the ministry’s site in Lesotho.

Last year, the fraternity had 12 participants go on the mission trip, and this year they hope to send 30 members in the spring. The haunted house will run Oct. 28 and 29, from 7 to 11 p.m. Admission is $5, and parents are encouraged to bring their children, as the event is kid-friendly. Halloween costumes are encouraged, although not required.

Finally, the Residence Hall Association will host “Movies ‘Till Midnight,” a Halloween-themed movie night starting at 8:30 p.m. on Halloween night on the Drill Field. The films of choice are “Halloweentown” and “The Purge.”

Though the event is targeted toward students, Grey Garris, president of RHA, said the entire community is invited to watch the films.

“Our events are open to anyone and everyone,” Garris said. ”We want to make sure everyone feels welcome and connected to the MSU Department of Housing and Residence Life.”

Halloween snacks, such as s’mores, hot chocolate and popcorn will be provided, and movie-watchers are encouraged to dress warm and bring blankets.

Whether for students or families, Starkville is teeming with opportunities for everyone to have a spooky, fun-filled Halloween.