Trump’s economic success should not matter anymore

Trumps economic success should not matter anymore

As the Midterm Elections grow closer, both parties have made it clear: this election is about President Donald Trump. These midterm elections might be the most important ever, and as the Democrats try to retake the Legislative Branch, both parties know the repercussions this election can have on the 2020 presidential election. To put it simply: the outcome of these midterms will send a message to Washington and to Trump.
The Trump administration has played a huge role in these midterms. Like most administrations, Trump attended rallies and endorsed candidates from all over the nation, but his most important duty is touting his accomplishments. The Republican Party knows their political power can only last as long as Trump will last. Therefore, they must try to sell the Trump administration to voters. While I am far from a Trump fan, even I would be foolish to say they are lying about all of his accomplishments.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate is 3.7 percent and black unemployment is at 6.0 percent, both among all-time lows. 
Earlier this year, according to Macrotrends, the stock market reached an all-time high with almost 29 million points. The economy is growing at nearly 4.0 percent each quarter, and about 49 percent of Americans “back [Trump’s] handling of the economy,” as stated by Stephen Collinson of CNN.
Overall, people are generally satisfied with the economy, and history has shown a good economy usually means a long presidency, and a stronghold on American politics. While it is possible to point out all of Trump’s gains to the previous administration, none of it really matters. The president is like the quarterback, they get all the credit when we win and all the blame when we lose. For now, let us give him those victories.
Trump and the Republicans have a major issue though, and Stephen Collinson of CNN summarizes it best when he said, “Republican hopes… may hinge on more voters deciding that for all the uproar and dislocation and falsehoods of the Trump presidency, he has made them more economically secure and given them a pay for which they have waited years.”
The only way for Trump and Republicans to win is hoping Americans can sell our souls. 
For all the economic success Trump claims, he knows the economy is his only argument for support. Trump and the Republicans hope voters will remember the economy and forget the separation of children at the border, the defending of an accused child molester in Roy Moore, calling Neo-Nazis and white supremacists “very fine people,” insulting a victim of sexual assault in Christine Blasey Ford, the repeated attempts at repeal healthcare for millions, the firing of James Comey, the dismissal of Russian interference in the 2016 election, the U.N. literally laughing at him and the over 4,000 false or misleading claims made in just 558 days.
This list could go on and on, but the point is made. Trump can have his economic success, but none of it should matter when faced with so many other problems.
We have a president and a party with no moral code or standards. Just this week, Trump insulted and attacked Tom Steyer despite the fact he was a victim of an assassination attempt in the mail bomb spree, according to Quint Forgey of Politico. Before this “the Trump Administration [and] the Department of Health and Human Services [was] reportedly leading an effort to redefine sex based solely on the sexual anatomy a person is born with,” according to Anthony Rivas of ABC News, despite him promising to protect LGBTQ+ rights during his campaign. 
Sooner or later, Americans will have to make a decision. Will they stand for the rights, well-being, security and dignity of their fellow men, or will they stand for economic satisfaction for themselves?
The Trump Administration has hurt millions, if not billions, in ways I cannot cover in a simple opinion article. The Republican Party has stood by him, defended him and encouraged him. They are complicit in their actions. At a certain point, the economic gains for some should not outweigh the pain of many others.