Sanderson Center celebrates 20 years

Mississippi State University’s Sanderson Center celebrated its 20-year anniversary, two weeks ago. Named after its major contributor, 1947 MSU graduate Joe Frank Sanderson, the center has become a vital part of student life over the past two decades.
Regina Hyatt, vice president of student affairs, said she has observed the impact of the center on student life.
“The Sanderson Center is, has been and continues to be a central component to the student experience at Mississippi State,” Hyatt said. “As we encourage our students to pursue healthy behaviors, the Sanderson Continue is a great place for students to improve their mental, physical and social wellbeing.”
Patrik Nordin, the director of University Recreation, has been involved in working for the Sanderson for all but two of its 20 years. He worked his way up from a student fitness instructor, to a fitness graduate assistant, to a staff member, to his current position. He has a unique perspective on how the center has grown and changed since it opened in 1998.
“Since opening 20 years ago, the Sanderson Center has made students more active by providing a wide variety of activities and the space to do them,” Nordin said. “The staff of the facility have always tried to offer something for everyone, whether it’s battleship or ballroom dancing. Rooms and spaces in the Sanderson Center have been reinvented–sometimes multiple times–to keep up with fitness trends and enrollment growth. It has also allowed new sport clubs and student organizations to form and thrive by providing space for practices and meetings.”
Donald Moore, a graduate student studying food science, nutrition, and health promotion, echoed Nordin’s sentiments.
“I feel that the Sanderson is important because it offers students and patrons a place to escape everyday stress,” Moore said. “It is a welcoming environment that makes everyone feel at home, and it offers something for everyone.”
Instead of attributing the center’s most valuable asset to its impact on student health, Nordin said it is the employees making the impact.
“The people of the Sanderson Center are its most valuable asset,” Nordin said. “The facility has employed over 3,500 student employees since opening its doors in 1998. We’ve had graduate assistants and professional staff members from all over the country who have left their mark on the program through the years. They’ve brought new and innovative ideas and made the Sanderson experience better.”
A dedication to serve MSU students and members is the heartbeat of the Sanderson Center, said Julie Kelly, who has worked as a fitness instructor at the Sanderson for nearly a year and a half.
“I believe our students and members value the Sanderson Center because of our dedication to ensure everyone who steps foot in our building has a positive experience,” Kelly said. “We are constantly seeking ways to improve our facility, programming and students, and strive to continue to provide exceptional customer service.”
Kelly said she enjoys interacting with students and members everyday, along with the dedicated staff. Her favorite part of working at the Sanderson is the every-day interactions with students and members.
“Whether it’s teaching a group exercise class and helping participants reach their fitness goals, or supervising and training my student employees, my job constantly keeps me busy,” Kelly said. “I love coming to work every day to spread my passion of health and wellness, and I am constantly motivated by our dedicated students.”
This people-oriented foundation of service is the reason the Sanderson Center has become what it is today. While the center has changed and adapted as the years have passed, the core purpose of the Sanderson has remained the same— to serve and improve the lives of those who walk through its doors.

Sarah Morgan Johnson
Sarah Morgan Johnson, Former Managing Editor
Sarah Morgan Johnson served as the Managing Editor in 2022. She also served as the Life & Entertainment Editor from 2020 to 2022.