Theatre MSU commits ‘Crimes of the Heart’

Crimes of the Heart

Theatre MSU will present its first production of the semester, “Crimes of the Heart,” at 7:30 Feb. 15 through Feb. 17 at the McComas Hall Theatre.

This story is set in 1970s Hazlehurst, and follows the Magrath sisters as they reunite and try to forget their varying pasts and work toward the future. It is a comedy about serious matters, with tension, nosy relatives and a dysfunctional family.

Tim Matheny, the play’s director, said a lot of work has gone into bringing this story to life.

“There are six in the cast,” Matheny said. “We have five in the production crew, and a team of builders, and backstage crew. There will be approximately 25 to 30 people involved with this show. It takes a surprising number of people working in chorus together to effectively put on a show. The cast has done an amazing job learning their lines, and almost the entire cast was off book for the first rehearsal.”

Beth Accardy, who will play Babe Botrelle, said she loves being a part of this cast and show.

“I am excited to work with such a hard-working group of people to tell such a realistic, and relevant family drama,” Accardy said. “This cast has been absolutely amazing. It’s such a privilege to work with such a talented and hardworking group of people who are just as invested in the story and their characters as I am. It’s also so much fun working with this cast because not only are they my cast mates, but they are my friends, as well.”

Matheny said he loves every production for the interaction he has with the students in the show. 

“Theatre is an amazing art form that brings people together for a common task,” Matheny said. “The hours working along-side of the students to develop the performance, deepening our understanding of these characters, and bringing the text to life is such a joy. The play also takes place in Mississippi in the mid 1970’s. We have had so much fun with the set and costumes of this production.”

Accardy said a lot of work has gone into preparing for her role, but it has been very rewarding.

“Of course, there is the work of line memorization, but there is also the work character development and script analysis,” Accardy said. “There is a lot of work that goes into figuring out what my character truly wants and desires. Babe is so relatable and real. She has things about her that are likable and charming, and yet, she has things about her that are disturbing and sad, just like any human on this planet.”

Matheny said this play brings something special and charming to the stage.

“The play is the story of a family broken by tragedy, and yet, the show is filled with such warmth, humor and wonderful southern charm,” Matheny said. “The story really does take you on an emotional and fun journey, as we see these three sisters bicker with, protect and cherish each other in the hardest of times. Not to mention this Pulitzer Prize-winning play was written by one of our own: Mississippi native, Beth Henley.”

Tickets are $13 and can be purchased online at the MSU events page.