Review: ‘Black Panther’

Ryan Coogler has given us one of Marvel’s best films, which, considering his resume thus far, should not be a big surprise. Because of his track record with “Creed” and “Fruitvale Station,” I had high expectations going into “Black Panther,” and they were all satisfied.
Where Marvel’s latest film really exceeds is in its world-building. Wakanda feels alive. It feels real. They take time and effort to establish Wakanda as almost a secondary character, and I think it is well worth it in the end. The people, the colors and the culture of Wakanda are a breath of fresh air within this universe, and it is refreshing to watch.
The supporting cast is amazing. Lupita Nyong’o as Nakia, Danai Gurrira as Okoye and Letitia Wright as T’Challa’s sister Shuri, are a few of the standouts from an all-star cast.
Everyone is treated with the respect they deserve, and no one gets left by the wayside. Every story arc feels both important and earned. Chadwick Boseman plays T’Challa beautifully, as he struggles to fill his role as the new King of Wakanda.
This brings me to easily the best part of the movie; Michael B. Jordan as the villain, Erik Killmonger.
This is the third time director Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan have worked together on a film, and their experience with each other really shows. Jordan brings his A-game and delivers Marvel’s best villain. He’s empathetic, terrifying and so well-rounded as a character. There were times I got a little misty-eyed while watching Killmonger trying to fight for his life back. It was an absolute pleasure to watch Jordan on screen.
I do believe this movie could have been about 15 to 20 minutes shorter. There are times it drags a little bit, which I think they could have condensed.
As far as the superhero genre goes, I think “Black Panther” is easily one of Marvel’s best, but I do not think it transcends the genre in the way films like “The Dark Knight” and “Logan” do.
I cannot talk about Blank Panther without talking about how important this film is for Hollywood. An almost all-black cast leading a blockbuster like this for the first time is huge. In five days, it made more money than Justice League did in 13 weeks. Hollywood should take note. The audience is there. We desperately want amazing films like these.
Lastly, I implore you to go watch Coogler’s other films. Both “Creed” and “Fruitvale Station” are incredible films, well worth your time and money.
Black Panther feels alive, between the world Marvel built and the characters inhabiting it. Marvel has discovered something special here, and I for one cannot wait for more.