Theatre MSU brings ‘Noises Off’ to campus

Theatre MSU’s final performance of the season, “Noises Off,” will run Thursday through Saturday at the McComas Theatre. 
“Noises Off” is a high-energy, farce comedy for mature audiences. The play is fast-paced and designed to provide an interesting and hilarious look into theatre life many do not get to see.
The performance consists of more physical work than other plays and many of the actors work out together to ensure they are are in shape to fulfill the play’s requirements.
Director Cody Stockstill said “Noises Off” is one of the most complicated plays he has worked with, but he is confident the performers will meet the challenges of this play.
“I have been doing theatre for a long time, and ‘Noises Off’ is one of the most complex plays anyone can do anywhere,” Stockstill said. “It is just about the most complex show, not only for the design and tech of it, but for the actors as well. So much is going on in the show.”
Since it was key for the performers to master the physical comedy of the show, auditions were held in December to allow plenty of time for the performers to learn the script which includes many stage directions. 
Stockstill said “Noises Off” includes a diverse cast of actors from across campus. Many members of Lab Rats will perform in this play, along with an engineering student and a range of other people interested in comedy.
“What I always tell my actors is that if they didn’t stand out, I wouldn’t have cast them,” Stockstill said. “Each of the actors in this play stand out in their own individual way.”
Alyssa Parrish, public relations intern for the theatre, said the entire theatre is excited to perform this well-known Broadway play.
“In comparison to other plays in the season, this is definitely our most complex,” Parrish said. “In fact, it is probably the most complex play we have put on in many years.”
Parrish works primarily in the costume department, and said since the play is a play within a play, the head designer Jamie Alexander analyzed each character and determined what the characters would wear, as well as the characters the characters play.
While designing the costumes was complicated, the set was the most complex aspect of this performance. The set is a two-story rotating set, the largest feat the department has attempted.
Stockstill said he took a long time designing the set, starting last fall, and continuing to make adjustments up until they began building. It required a lot of lumber orders and assistance to build, but fortunately, this year they had a lot of help within the department to make the process smoother.
“This two-story set has to essentially rotate 180 degrees,” Stockstill said. “That is what we have been working on since February. It is basically a big jungle gym of a set that also has to rotate.”
Hannah Boyette, a student interested in attending the play, said she has heard many positive reviews of the play, and knows Theatre MSU will do justice to this popular Broadway hit.
“Theatre MSU always does an amazing job in their performances, and especially with their set,” Boyette said. “I have no doubt that this play will be both hysterical and well-designed. I hope other students and community members come to see it.”