Review: Drum Tao showcase Japanese tradition with modern elements

Mississippi State University wrapped up the annual Lyceum Series with a performance from the Japanese drum troupe Drum Tao Wednesday night at Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium.
The performers have global recognition, having been featured at the Vancouver Olympics and on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. The name of the group can be misleading, but the players have far more to offer than solely drum talent, leaving audience members like Lauren Cody pleasantly surprised at the diversity of their talents exhibited.
“I was expecting for it to be a drum show, but it was like dance, music, singing, other performances,” Cody said. “I was in for a treat. It felt like going to an all-Asian version of Magic Mike.”
The performance features instruments ranging from drums to flutes and a three-stringed instrument called a shamisen. In addition to the impressive range of instruments utilized, the performers were incredibly athletic and never missed a beat in the entirety of the extremely strenuous routine.
At one point, the male performers drummed as they sat reclined with no back support and did so for a duration which would make even the most in-shape individuals cringe. It was moments like these among many others which showed the audience the sheer talent and dedication required to be in the company.
Although the production showcased Japanese tradition, there were also some modern elements which provided both a harmonious contrast with traditional elements and even comedy. Hoverboards were used as props to wheel out larger drums, and performers in costumes outlined in lights danced around the stage to the beat of the unseen drummers.
The musicians also possessed incredible showmanship. The crowd was constantly engaged by the performers, and there was never a lull in activity. Even during changes of scenery, performers equipped with drums would tap out a beat and encourage the crowd to clap along with them. The crowd was left smiling, and the performers had smiles to match. The performers are incredibly talented and appear to love to enthrall their audiences.
Among all else, the performers share and help keep alive traditions and the history of Japanese culture. Graduate Students Logan Johnson and Casey Baumgartner loved the show and enjoyed the cultural elements of the performance.
Casey Baumgartner, who was raised in Okinawa, Japan, said the show gave her “chills.” She said shows like Drum Tao are quite common in Japan and are as common as the American community theatre.
The intricate costuming of both men and women also gave insight into the traditional dress of the Japanese. The simplicity of the stone-like props and backdrop accentuated the brilliance of the martial style costuming of the men and the flowy, elaborate dresses of the women.
This performance marks the second time Drum Tao visited and performed at MSU, and the performers expressed their desire to visit once again. Drum Tao tours in the U.S. every two years and will hopefully make the rounds again to showcase their talent for those who missed it this year.