Hot take: Coffee sucks and tea is superior

Yes, you read that right. I would much rather drink dirty leaf water over dirty bean water. Like many college students, I tried to dive into the world of coffee culture, which is “the social atmosphere and social interactions that are related to coffee and coffee houses” as defined by South Africa Info, but I found the concept of it to be far better than the actual coffee drink. I have tried it with cream, sugar, multiple types of milks and the wide array of flavored syrups, from hot to cold, at multiple local coffee shops and chains. But alas, I have still been let down with far less enjoyment than everyone pretends to have.
When you have a cup of tea, it is like a hug in a glass. My favorite variations of tea are made with earl grey tea with either a London Fog or just the tea and a drizzle of honey. Something about it just feels more natural and comforting than a cup of coffee.
Tea, while widely popularized in England, has its origins in China with a legend revolving around royalty, according to the Lipton Tea website. So, if it is fit for kings and queens, then it is great for someone as common as me. You can also feel like a true American and dunk tea into the water of your cup to recreate the Boston Tea party thrill.
Coffee originated on the Ethiopian plateau according to legend, as mentioned by the National Coffee Association, and made its way across the Arabian Peninsula and Europe. It did not make it to the U.S. until the British brought it in the mid-1600s. The main reason for its popularization was because it provided a source of quick energy. While coffee has surpassed tea in popularity, tea still holds its ground by being the favorite drink of choice for many.

Emma Dotson
Emma Dotson, Former Opinion Editor
Emma Dotson served as the Opinion Editor from 2021 to 2022.