Restaurant review: These tacos are anything but humble

Adam Sullivan | The Reflector

Humble Taco, Starkville’s newest restaurant, has experienced great success since its doors opened to the public at the end of January.

Starkville foodies have been eagerly awaiting the opening of Humble Taco since the neon “Hola Y’all” sign popped up in the window of the restaurant back in 2020. 

According to The Starkville Daily News, construction began in late January of last year, as the restaurant was originally supposed to open in May of 2020. After months of delay, Humble Taco finally opened its doors to the public two weeks ago. 

This new restaurant labels themselves on their Instagram (@humbletacostarkville) as, “A Modern Mexican + American South restaurant.” Made by the creators of the iconic Restaurant Tyler, Bin 612 and The Guest Room, Humble Taco already has high expectations and so far has done fairly well. 

With months of built-up anticipation and excitement, I was thrilled to finally try out Starkville’s newest dining option. I quickly found out I was not alone in my excitement, as the restaurant has boasted lengthy wait times every night of the week. 

Humble Taco is nestled right in between the Cotton District and Main Street, creating a perfect spot for accessibility while also missing some of the craziness of the Cotton District just a little ways down the street. 

One notable thing about Humble Taco is the atmosphere the restaurant creates. The lighting, seating and layout of the place give it a lively, enjoyable feel. The building has patios that wrap around the side, giving extra outdoor space for tables and places to eat. 

I ordered the combo meal with the smoked pork taco, the gulf taco and a side of guacamole. My first impression of the meal was the tacos were absolutely stuffed with food. The signature homemade sweet potato tortilla itself was not that big, so stuffing it was necessary to get a sufficient amount of food. I was immediately impressed and surprised by the variety of flavors the tacos offered. 

The toppings on each taco perfectly complemented the meat they were paired with. The pork taco had “hickory smoked pork, Humble sauce, ancho sauce, pineapple salsa and queso fresco,” and the gulf taco had “fried fresh catch, pineapple salsa, lime crema and fried jalapeños,” all of which is listed on their online menu

Many items on the menu, including the ones I ordered, had a special southern flare to them that makes them perfect for Starkville. These include smoked wings and even dishes that include catfish, a Mississippi favorite. 

Junior microbiology major Maggie Shepherd ordered a chicken burrito, which she said was big enough for lunch the next day as well. Shepherd was especially excited for the unique atmosphere, explaining it brings something new to the Starkville culinary scene. 

“It is something different. In Starkville, we have our nice restaurants, but Humble Taco is something more casual and fun to eat with friends,” Shepherd said. 

Considering Humble Taco had to take the place of one of Starkville’s most beloved City Bagel, I think they are living up to the expectations that spot has set. 

Many people were devastated by the loss of City Bagel a couple years ago, but the community and life that Humble Taco brings to that spot is making up for it. 

Although the two restaurants are vastly different, they share more than just a building. Shepherd said the vibe at Humble Taco matches the fun environment City Bagel once held. 

Humble Taco has so far been a huge success and is proving itself to be a great place to go eat with friends. It offers a great atmosphere without the craziness of the Cotton District, and the good food is definitely an added bonus.