Freshman songwriter Lauren Sink releases first EP

Lauren Sink | Courtesy Photo

Lauren Sink, a freshman majoring in communication at Mississippi State University, released an extended play (EP) titled “Shadow of Your Wings” today. This is Sink’s first ever EP and features a collection of songs inspired by the story of the beginning of her spiritual journey. She chose some of the songs for the EP from old journals from early high school, feeling that they reflected the impact that her faith, Christianity, has had on her life. 

Sink’s music career began in a somewhat unusual way. Growing up, she was busy playing sports and music was not really a part of her life. That all changed in the seventh grade when she began to learn to play the guitar. Soon after, she fell in love with the process of songwriting and playing worship music. In the eighth grade, Sink began to lead worship at her church. 

“All of our hearts were created to worship, so leading it felt right,” Sink said. 

After she began leading worship, Sink knew she wanted to do it for the rest of her life. Her love for music and songwriting were encouraged by her church, and she was grateful for the ability to lead worship. 

Some difficult experiences in early high school led Sink to the Bible, where she finds most of her inspiration for songwriting. 

She explained that she opened up to the Bible verse in Psalm 63:7 which says “I will sing in the shadow of your wings.” This verse inspired many of the songs that were released on the EP. In fact, this is the reason that she named the EP “Shadow of Your Wings.”  

“No matter what season I’m in, I can sing,” said Sink, saying she finds joy and strength from worshipping. 

When asked about what musical artists she looks up to, Sink cited women such as Kari Jobe and Lauren Daigle, both worship artists who are breaking the typical songwriting mold in their genre. Sink is impressed by their writing style and the strength of their words. 

“Songs we listen to … the words are so empty,” she said. 

Sink wanted her generation to have beautiful music that “brought glory to God.”  Sink noted her dream is for people to hear the name of Jesus in her music and is excited for her upcoming music projects. 

Sink’s EP releases on Spotify, Apple music and other music platforms today. Additionally, Sink worked on a few acoustic sessions with a filming crew. These will be released tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 28. Sink also has plans for a film piece on the stories behind some of her songs, which will be filmed by local photographer and fellow MSU student, Sara Beth Pritchard. “Working with her, especially lately, she has been intentional about the album not being about her,” Pritchard said.

Pritchard praised Sink’s passion for her faith in every aspect of her album, noting that Sink even canceled a photo shoot, because she did not want to advertise the album with pictures of herself. 

“I admire that in her,” Pritchard said.

Sink’s selflessness in her life and career is recognized by her friends too. Julia Symonds, a sophomore philosophy major, met Sink through a mutual friend and has now become friends with Sink also. Symonds said she applauds Sink’s humility and commends her confidence.  

“Lauren writes and produces music out of a response for what the Lord is doing in her life,” Symonds said. “She does not do any of this for her own glory and fame. She does it to make known the name of Jesus.” 

Sink is not sure of the future of her music career, but she is considering a career in full time Christian ministry. Though she is unsure of the specifics of what working in ministry will look like for her, she knows music will definitely be a part of her life forever.

“I know one thing. I love songwriting and I know that will always be in my life.”