Consider adopting a black cat this Halloween

Black+Cat
Black Cat

Behold, the best time of the year: spooky season. It is the time when playing dress-up is not weird and people eat disgusting candy corn out of an obligation to tradition. During this time, stores are packed with festive décor, such as bones, pumpkins and all things wicked. Black cats are often the subject of wicked and spooky décor and costumes, but in a way, this demonizes them. Black cats are not evil, and they are not unlucky. If anything, it is lucky if a cat loves you because cats are selective with their love, unlike dogs. There are a lot of myths about black cats that cause negative images, but this is not always the case.
According to Alaa Elassar with CNN, “In the United States, many people believe black cats bring bad luck or are altogether evil. But it’s not a belief shared across all cultures. In Britain, Japan and Ireland, a black cat crossing your path is considered a sign of good luck.”
This superstition against black cats in the United States causes more harm than people might realize. Since people may not see them as the sweet, furry creatures they are, they get overlooked at animal shelters.
Elassar also adds, “many animal shelters struggle to find good homes for black cats.”
This is horrible, and these cats deserve better. Just because they are not colorful does not mean they are any less cute. While we decorate our dorms and apartments with skulls and scary black cat window stickers, we need to think of something else very important, which is that Halloween can be scarier for black cats. Though shelters want them to be adopted, they have to be careful around Halloween time.
Mike Pearl of Vice claims, “persistent rumors about cults and crazy people seeking to sacrifice black cats on the spooky holiday have been enough to make many animal shelters put a hold on adopting out these kittens,” as reported by Danny Lewis of the Smithsonian. 
In a way, black cats are the rabbits of Halloween. However, it is more common to hear of shelters banning rabbit adoptions during Easter than black cats during Halloween. I guess a rabbit’s foot is luckier in having a leg up in awareness. Lewis also says the misfortunes and myths of these poor cats might have derived from witchcraft as far back as the middle ages. It is way past time to be kinder to black cats. I do not think they were created just for people to either hurt them or be afraid of them, just because of their looks. Now, I have heard many negative comments on the spooky appearance of black cats, but the worst comment I have heard of is of their bad photo potential.
BBC News reported, “The founder of a cat rescue shelter has said black cats are being shunned by potential owners because they do not ‘show well’ in selfies.”
I guess this is the modern way of hating on black cats, and it is ridiculous. From my personal experience as the guardian of a black cat, sometimes they can be hard to photograph but only when it is dark and the cat is on a dark surface. Black cat pictures can turn out elegant if you try, and their beautiful eyes can really pop if the light is right. Next time you are wanting to give a loving cat a new home, remember to consider a black cat. ‘Tis the season to be spooky and love a black cat.