Bulldogs fall short to Wildcats in bitter fight

Humphrey Coliseum was the venue of an emotional rollercoaster on Saturday. No. 5 University of Kentucky (20-3, 9-1) defeated Mississippi State University (16-7, 4-6) 71-67 in a game with ranking and postseason implications at stake.
Kentucky capitalized on offensive opportunities, recording a 53.3 percent field goal percentage and going 5-11 from three-point range. Their efficient offense, along with strong rebounding and stingy defense, gave Kentucky a 15-point lead going into halftime 40-25.
With the second half underway, the Bulldogs ramped up their defense, making it difficult for the Wildcats to get shots off. 
The combined shooting performances of guards Lamar Peters and Quinndary Weatherspoon, and the added defense of sophomore forward Abdul Ado and freshman guard Robert Woodard II, allowed the Bulldogs to make it a closer game.
However, a late Kentucky three pointer proved to be too much for the Bulldogs to surmount. After the game, Kentucky head coach John Calipari said MSU was tough to coach against.
“We knew they were desperate because (MSU) had LSU beat, dead to rights,” Calipari said. “You guys know this is a top 20 team… I’m just glad we’re done with them. I hope we don’t see them in the tournament.”
For Kentucky, PJ Washington put up an impressive stat line of 23 points, three rebounds, one assist and one block. He would foul out in the second half, but the rest of his teammates helped grind out the hard-fought win for Kentucky.
MSU guard Nick Weatherspoon, a sophomore from Canton, said better shot selection against a high caliber team like Kentucky is crucial, and they were unable to execute down the stretch.
“A team like Kentucky is so good that you can’t make too (many) bad shots,” Weatherspoon said. “We had them on their heels. We just couldn’t convert at the end. Our defense turned into offense, that’s what made us get back into the game.”
Robert Woodard II, a freshman guard from Columbus, said he had no problem with the physicality of the game.
“There is always tension coming into a big game like this,” Woodard said. “We just had to be prepared for their physicality. They came out, made a few bumps. It’s just how you respond to it.” 
MSU head coach Ben Howland said the game may have gone their way if they had gotten off to a good start, and while they were unable to pull off the comeback, the game did show their abilities.
“For us today, it’s not digging a hole in the first half,” Howland said. “I thought we gave ourselves a great chance there when we were down one with eight minutes to go. We are better offensively when we are playing good defense and creating some offense out of our defensive play, as most teams are.”
The Bulldogs’ next game will be at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Humphrey Coliseum against the Alabama Crimson Tide. SEC Network will broadcast the game.