Starkville is sprouting with spring activities

Mary Madeline LaMastus | The Reflector

Keegan Lyle, freshman Spanish major, and Jack Bolton, freshman mechanical engineering major, enjoy a game of badminton at the Old Main Music Festival near the MSU Amphitheater.

Nothing says spring quite like being outside, and there are plenty of activities to enjoy outdoors in Starkville.
Spring in Starkville can be a buzzing time for outdoor music events. Heath Walt, graduate accounting student and local musician, said outdoor concerts are one of his favorite activities to participate in during the spring. The open-air environment encourages all types of onlookers to join, according to Walt.
“Outdoor concerts are different because people can hear the music from afar and just walk up and join in,” Walt said.
He added how outdoor concerts are usually free, which is a bonus for those on a budget.
Whether a local food lover or just looking for a fun social event, there is a place for everyone at the farmers market. Local farmers markets are a great way to support small businesses, get fresh goods, participate in art activities, listen to live music and socialize. Farmers markets do not just consist of fruits and vegetables either. Homemade bread, jams, soap, candles and pottery can be found at local markets. The environment is also great for children and pets as well.
Two farmers markets in the Golden Triangle include The Hitching Lot Farmers Market and The Starkville Community Market. The Hitching Lot Farmers Market is located on 2nd Avenue in downtown Columbus, Mississippi. The market is open April through October on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Starkville Community Market, which is located at Fire Station Park, is open Tuesday afternoons and Saturday mornings.
For a simple activity, a picnic with friends and family is very easy to put together. With a combination of food, music, a blanket, hammocks, books and a ball or frisbee, a budget-friendly afternoon is an easy-make. For those who are more ambitious, grilling is another great option for a picnic.
George Penniman, a junior psychology major, is a big fan of the outdoors. Penniman said picnics are his favorite springtime activity and has a few go-to picnic favorites of his own.
“Get someone you enjoy and bring some food,” Penniman said. “Fruits are always an easy grab-and-go, and just sitting, eating and maybe reading in the sun and shade. That’s the best part of springtime.”
Great locations for a picnic include the research park, the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge, Lake Chadwick and the Drill Field. 
Nothing is as simple and as stress-relieving as playing sports with some friends. With the intramural fields, public parks and courts, the possibilities for athletics are endless. Some options include: tennis, disc golf, basketball, baseball etc. 
Ben Collins, a senior landscape architecture major, said his favorite game is ultimate frisbee.
“Playing ultimate with my friends is a great exercise, and a great way to enjoy the weather,” Collins said. “It fosters a sense of community.”
Collins plays intramural ultimate frisbee and said one of his favorite outdoor memories is winning the ultimate intramural championship with his team. 
Spring would not be the same in Starkville without the slew of Mississippi State University sporting events, such as baseball, softball, soccer and golf currently in season.