College Republicans to host Mississippi GOP governor debate

The College Republicans at Mississippi State University will host a Republican primary debate in conjunction with the MSU Department of Political Science and Public Administration. The debate will take place at 6:30 p.m. April 2 in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium on MSU’s campus.
Governor candidates Bill Waller Jr., former Chief Justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court, and State Representative Robert Foster have agreed to participate in the debate. Lt. Governor Tate Reeves declined to participate due to a scheduling conflict.
Adam Sabes, chairman of the College Republicans at MSU, said he and the others planning the debate reached out to Reeves’ , but were unable to agree on a date.
“We understand that Lt. Governor Reeves has a very busy schedule,” Sabes said. “We have done everything in our power to schedule an event that he would be able to attend.”
Jonathan Bailey, chairman of the debate committee, described the organization’s purpose in hosting the debate.
“Our chapter and the other chapters of College Republicans represent the future of this state,” Bailey said. “We desire to encourage discussion and civil debate among our leaders.”
All statewide primary elections will take place on Aug. 5. The College Republicans want to begin primary season by asking candidates to discuss the issues.
“We want to thank Justice Waller and Representative Foster, as well as their campaigns, for working with us to bring a well-needed discussion of issues and policy to our state,” Sabes said. “We hope that all of the candidates, including Lt. Governor Reeves, will seek to find opportunities to have serious conversations about improving our great state.”
The College Republicans at MSU are a chapter of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans, and they are dedicated to building the Republican Party by recruiting, training and mobilizing young adults statewide.
For more information about the College Republicans at MSU or about the debate, contact the chapter executive board at [email protected].