Study Abroad Spotlight: Garret Green

Garret Green | Courtesy Photo

Junior Garret Green hikes up a glacier in Iceland in his free time during his study abroad trip in Germany during the summer of 2018.

Garret Green, a junior civil engineering major at Mississippi State University, spent his summer 2018 studying abroad. Green travelled to different parts of Europe while with the MSU study abroad program.
“I went to Germany for a technical writing class with some classmates from the engineering program from Mississippi State University,” Green said. “We were in Europe from June 20 until Aug. 4, 2018.”
During his time overseas, Green went on multiple adventures across Europe and said he saw the world in a way he never had the opportunity to do before.
“My class was in Germany, but we had the weekends off, so we could go on multiple adventures and excursions,” Green said. “I got to visit Iceland, France, England and Austria during my free time during my study abroad.”
While studying abroad, Green said he often had the freedom to choose what excursions he want to go on, which was an important factor. 
“I chose Iceland because I am attracted to nature, and I thought it would be a natural setting with pretty views, and great for hiking and going on adventures,” Green said. “A group of friends I made on the trip went hiking together on a glacier in Iceland, which is in my opinion, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I will never forget that.”
Green said students do not have to leave the country they are studying abroad in when they have free time because there is just as much to do there. In Germany alone, he immersed himself in local culture around every corner.
“While in Germany, I visited multiple beer gardens, and got to experience the famous German beer,” Green said.
Due to being in a new environment, culture and overall country, Green said making friends is a must and a very important part of making the entire experience as enjoyable as possible.
“I made a lot of new friends, and we still keep in touch today,” Green said.
Green believes once students study abroad, they will be addicted and want to go again as soon as possible. Despite the cost, Green found the experiences proved to be more than worth it.
“It is worth every penny and I would go back in a heartbeat, and I have even looked into more study abroad opportunities because it is that fun,” Green said.