Fox’s ‘Glee’ behind show choir craze

After last year’s season finale of “American Idol,” Fox previewed its new high school dramady “Glee.”
    Over the past year, the show has become a cultural phenomenon, prompting students of all ages to join or start their own show choirs.
    Though the founders of Mississippi State University’s show choir said it was not created in response to “Glee,” the popular television show has affected State’s new club nonetheless.
    The co-founders of MSU’s choir, Blake Garrett and Maureen Hughes, believe “Glee” had an impact on the perception of show choirs.
    “The popularity [of the show choir] had everything to do with ‘Glee.’ It catapulted show choir,” Garrett, sophomore majoring in biochemistry and theatre, said.
    Hughes, a freshman accounting and theatre major, acknowledged the popularization of show choirs through the cultural phenomenon.
    “Show choirs have been glamorized by ‘Glee,'” she said.
    Giselle Thibaudeau, MSU show choir adviser, said the main topic of discussion surrounding the club is “Glee.”
    “Whenever I mention the show choir to anyone, they always bring up ‘Glee,'” Thibaudeau said.
    Members of the choir were inspired to audition because of the comedy.
    “I was looking for something fun to do,” Blake Ulmer, a freshman music education major, said. “The show caused me to get interested in show choir.”
    Though members of the club may have already been interested before the pop culture craze, they still enjoy it.
    “Most of the people in the choir love ‘Glee’ and talk about it,” said freshman Chelsea Brock, industrial engineering major.
    “But that doesn’t mean we weren’t passionate before the show began.”
    The Facebook show choir interest group had over 100 members and over 60 attended the interest meeting.
    Even though the audition process has ended for the current semester, the offshoots of “Glee’s” growing popularity should continue to interest MSU students in their own show choir’s events.