2009 Best/Worst: TV Shows

Best TV Show: ‘LOST’

BY HANNAH ROGERS
    Entertainment Editor
    Though “Lost” is known for its mythology and mystery, the character development is what truly shines in this inspired television show. 2009’s fifth season took exceptional story-telling risks by introducing a tricky plot point: time travel. Instead of crippling the show, the time travel concept allowed the plot to move forward without compromising the characters.
    As the audience got closer to discovering the answers to the key mysteries of “Lost,” it becomes apparent how well- conceived this show truly is.
    The new relationship between Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell) and Sawyer (Josh Hollaway) added new life to the series. Jeremy Davies shone as physicist Daniel Faraday as he grappled with losing the woman he loved and discovering his mother’s horrifying secret. Evangeline Lilly’s Kate grew and showed new layers of depth as a protective mother to Aaron.
    The season finale raised the stakes higher than ever and left the viewer questioning everything about “Lost.” The penultimate season has truly raised the bar for not only season six but every drama on television.

Best TV Show: ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’

BY KYLE WRATHER
    Opinion Editor
    Current TV sitcoms tend to be formulaic preachy bores driven by lame jokes and canned laughter. Thankfully, we have an alternative in “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”
    Unlike most shows, the characters are completely reprehensible. This season saw them exploiting the mortgage crisis, derailing the Waitress’s (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) wedding and deciding to forget about Frank’s (Danny Devito) intervention and just drink with him. We saw Dennis (Glenn Howardson) detail exactly how he seduces, breaks down and ultimately leaves every woman just for kicks, complete with seconds for Mac (Rob McElhenny) and scraps for Frank. And I think Frank may have even killed a man with a trash can.
    And who needs realistic plots anyway? The more absurd the better. Who can forget the Eagle costumes and song from the wrestling episode, or Charlie (Charlie Day) and the gang trying to get a cat out of a wall by punching more holes and putting in more cats?
    And who doesn’t want Mac’s towel, which can apparently actually be bought online. We cannot forget the season’s funniest moment, when a nervous, sweaty Charlie tells his date that his occupation is a “full-on rapist.” Even the weaker episodes of this series are funnier than most network sitcoms. It is a crime that this show has never been nominated for an Emmy.

Worst TV Show: ‘The Secret Life of the American Teenager’

BY KYLE WRATHER
    Editor in Chief
    This show is completely ridiculous. “Secret Life,” created by Brenda Hampton (7th Heaven), has continually sunk into complete schlock. The first season focused on a 16-year-old pregnant teen, Amy, and the struggles she faces at school and in life with her parents separating and the burden of her impending motherhood. In season two, however the plot becomes almost unintelligible as she discovers her aging mother Anne (played by now the now frumpy Molly Ringwald) is also apparently pregnant, her child’s whiney tough-guy father Ricky (Daren Kagasoff) has decided he wants to be a part of her child’s life and her inexplicably loyal, but wimpy boyfriend Ben (Kenny Baumann) is having doubts about their relationship.
    Unfortunately, season two of “Secret Life of the American Teenager” discarded any chance of being a legitimate drama about teenage life in exchange for cheap gimmicks and unbelievable and incomprehensible plot arcs.

Worst TV Show: ‘Cougar Town’

BY APRIL WINDHAM
    News Editor
    To think that you could have an entire show revolving around old women looking for younger men might actually sound somewhat entertaining and funny. Too bad it didn’t quite hit the mark on the entertaining scale. The jokes were lacking humor and the plot line was predictable.
    As a fan of Courtney Cox, her performance is acceptable, but the show itself could use a little help in the writing department.
    The show has a huge potential if it can get high enough ratings to continue on with another season.

Worst TV Show: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

BY HANNAH ROGERS
    Entertainment Editor
    During its first season, “Grey’s Anatomy” showed promise as a consistently hilarious guilty pleasure. This past year the once creative show has deteriorated beyond recognition.
    The show follows a group of doctors working at the fictitious Seattle Grace Hospital as they navigate career, familial and relationship issues.
    The once likable characters have either completely changed for the worse or have failed to grow. Ridiculous plot lines, such as Izzie’s (Katherine Heigl) “romance” with her dead fiancee (Jeffery Dean Morgan), appear frequently for lengthy periods of time. Instead of treating the character of George (T.R. Knight) with respect, he was repeatedly given fewer lines each episode- – until he was killed in a ridiculous accident.
    No romantic couple can last long enough to develop anything resembling a mature relationship; the writers seem determined to destroy every marriage created before the one year anniversary mark. While conflict drives the best dramas on television, recycling conflicts has turned “Grey’s Anatomy” into nothing but a glorified soap opera.