Bike traffic increases

A sharp increase in campus bicycle traffic is leading university officials to take steps that will help ensure the safety and convenience of cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike.

One of the most prominent signs of the increase in bicycle traffic can be seen at bike racks across campus.
Mike Harris, Director of Parking Operations, said Parking Services is currently taking steps to help relieve the                           effects of bicycle parking congestion on campus. High traffic areas around the Drill Field and residence halls, where bike racks often overflow, will receive special attention.
“In the coming days, we will be experimenting with temporary bike racks around campus to help us gauge where new permanent ones will be placed,” Harris said. “We have between 30 and 40 permanent racks ordered and we will install them where they are most needed.”
Although some bike racks on campus may become full, any bicycles chained to undesignated objects will be subject to removal by the Mississippi State University Police Department and held by university Parking Services.
Junior educational psychology major Brent Varner said  he has had problems finding available bike racks on campus this semester.
“There have been a few occasions where the racks by my building are just completely full,” Varner said.
Roger Baker, Campus Master Planner, said improper bicycle parking blocks walkways can be a violation of federal law.
“Some people don’t understand that chaining their bikes to hand rails and posts actually violates the Americans with Disabilities Act because it obstructs walkways,” Baker said. “It can also prevent our maintenance crews from doing their job in certain situations.”
Baker is working to increase overall mobility on campus and minimize interaction between various modes of transportation, he said.
“Building bicycle lanes will be an important part of this process, Baker said.
“We are working with the city on constructing special bicycle lanes into campus that are separate from sidewalks,” he said. “The problem right now is finding the funds to pursue this project.”
Although the university has a policy of not allowing bicycles on campus sidewalks, enforcement has been relaxed due to a lack of sufficient bicycle lanes.
Harris said understanding and communication are more important than strict adherence to policies at this time.
“We are trying to be very lenient at the moment because we realize that this is a new experience for many students,” Harris said. “The more we can do to dispel confusion the better things will be in the long run.”
Students using bicycles on campus have the option of registering their bikes with Parking Services. Registration is free and helps identify a bicycle’s owner in the event of theft or confiscation.
Harris said in addition to protecting student property, registering bicycles also helps the university address the needs of the biking community.
“If a registered bicycle is stolen and recovered we can immediately notify the owner,” he said. “Also, knowing an approximate number of bikes on campus allows us to direct appropriate funds to bicycle facilities.”
Harris said he is confident a balance can be found between the different forms of transportation on campus.
“Bicycles are an integral part of what we do and are becoming more and more of a presence,” he said. “Once we separate bikes, pedestrians and vehicles, campus will become an even safer and more convenient place.”