Unexpected showers felt at MSU game

I don’t complain about much, especially when it comes to Mississippi State. I was born and raised an MSU fan. As a child, I went to football games with my dad, and the games we couldn’t go to we watched on TV.
I go to every home game and as many away games as possible, because I love MSU and I love football. I love sitting in the student section and singing along with the band. I love watching the cheesy commercials on the video screen and cheering for old plays during breaks. I love ringing my cowbell and staying in the stadium until the band is finished playing after a win.
I love MSU football so much that I don’t complain about people throwing their drinks when we score a touchdown and having whisky-stains on the back of my outfit for the rest of the game.
I don’t complain about people smoking in the stadium, even though I think it’s rude. I don’t complain about people booing the other team’s band and I don’t complain about people not staying in the stadium during halftime to watch our band. And I don’t complain about people screaming vulgarities at other team’s fans when they walk through the Junction.
But I am going to complain about inconsiderate, drunken people, sitting in the student section, who think that it is appropriate to throw the cups they have been spitting their dip into after we score.
Now, I will admit that I am not a fan of dip to begin with, but I don’t care if people dip around me. But when I am standing in the stadium watching my Bulldogs, the last thing I want to do is have to worry about someone throwing his or her dip spit on me.
At the MSU-Georgia game last weekend, during the last few minutes of the game after I had already dodged all the other drinks that had been thrown in the student section, I was hit with a drink. I wasn’t too concerned about it because I was celebrating our first SEC win of the season, and I was pretty excited about it.
But then I realized it wasn’t just the normal whisky and Coke that was in my hair, running down my dress and all over the backs of my legs — it was dip spit.
Yep. Dip spit. You read it right. Someone thought that it would be an excellent idea to throw dip spit into the stands and all over a group of people.
So, to the guy in Section O sitting about 10 rows up from me that thought it was a good idea, you hit the wrong person with your dip spit.
To my guy friends with whom I was sitting, thanks for shielding me from as much dip spit as you could.
And to the rest of the dipping MSU student community, don’t stoop as low as this guy and throw your dip cups after we score or after we win, because it’s just plain disgusting.
Next time you want to throw your dip cup, pick up a pompom or ring your cowbell or, for all I care, throw your actual drink.
April Windham is the editor in chief of The Reflector. She can be contacted at [email protected].